Yamaha GT-2000 from Japan or local TD-125?

(Cross posted)

Im wondering if anyone has ordered one off Ebay.  The Japanese websites seem pretty legit. I’m really sold on these, I’d say it’s my dream table for now.

Also have a chance to pick up a fully serviced Thorens TD-125 with an SME 3009 locally.  Arm was rewired, but have not been quoted a price since the seller wants to wait until the work is complete.  I’m guessing around the same as  GT2000, likely low to mid 1k’s

Any constructive thoughts are much appreciated.

brecchi

It is very easy to work out shipping, there is a small tool bar on the left side of the screen with a middle of three tool prompts looking like a calculator, this is the tool to work out the Shipping, but is is weight dependent, as a Timber Plinth TT is much Less Weight than a Lead Plinth or Resin Plinth.

Also the GT 2000 can be found with a 6Kg Plinth or a 18Kg Plinth.

Adding the YOP-1 standalone PS and a Phosphor Bronze Vacuum Platter Mat YDS-1 (4.5Kg) and any spare parts found will most likely add up to 10-15Kg to the Package.    

I have bought TT's with all Plinth Types and the Chassis Motor Only, obviously the Chassis Motor only will be the cheapest to ship followed by the Timber Plinth and then what is the next in the weight class.

I have worked out a 100000 Yen purchase - Shipped to the US, as a 30Kg (66lbs) - 24" x 24" x 8" Package with the shipping costs listed below.

I always add 25% to a Purchase Price to cover any import levy's added in the UK, I don't know about Imports Levy's on US imports.

You can't see under the hood in a Photo, and are at the mercy of another's honesty, or lack of experience in a TT's maintenance and needs to function optimally.

One individuals works OK, as a description, is in comparison potentially the antithesis of another's, where it is stating the same device is needing serious surgery.  

• FedEx Intl. Economy

28,508 yen(≈ 156.80 GBP)

• FedEx Intl. Priority

32,666 yen(≈ 179.67 GBP)

• ECMS

33,854 yen(≈ 186.20 GBP)

• DHL

34,564 yen(≈ 190.11 GBP)

• UPS

52,511 yen(≈ 288.82 GBP)

• AirMail

66,700 yen(≈ 366.85 GBP)

• EMS

75,100 yen(≈ 413.05 GBP)

• Surface

20,900 yen(≈ 114.95 GBP)

p.s

Be very clear to any individual shipping, that the Platter Must be removed and Packed as a Separate Part in the Transport Package.

Not many will remove the Tonearm, a cheaper option and safer option might be to buy a TT without a Tonearm, this will remove the risk of receiving a damaged TA, but also remove the option for a potential TA resale.

If one really wants the TA that is mounted, then again very clear requests must be made for how the Tonearm is to be protected for the shipping.

I have no recollection of receiving a TT with TA attached I have a interest in.

I saw this thread when it first appeared. At that time due to some problem on the part of Audiogon I was unable to sign in and reply to postings. Obviously that has been resolved for a few months but I forgot about this thread.

I'm a little stunned at the misinformation on this thread.

A few years ago the website Liquid Audio, a West Australian repair and refurb technician, published an article in June 2021 about a GT 2000 that they had received titled "Yamaha GT-2000 Turntable Service". Mike(who is Liquid Audio) commented that there was play in the motor bearing of this particular GT 2000. Mike investigated further and upon removal of the thrust pad from the bottom of the bearing reported that the plastic flange on the thrust pad exhibited a crack. Mike surmised in the article that the turntable had probably been dropped with the platter in place.

Yamaha in the Japanese langauage only manual to the GT 2000 displayed a prominant warning that the platter was never to be removed without using the platter lifting tools(basically eye-bolts) for risk of damaging the bearing. Think about that. A prominant warning(yes it said "Warning" ) placed at the top of the first page of the owner's manual. Just about removing and reinstalling the platter. 

Due to the optional 40 pound platter for the GT 2000, the bearing had to be rated to carry that load or else the optional platter would destroy the bearing. The Victor Corp engineers who developed the GT 2000 motor took a lot of time(and research) developing a motor bearing which did meet their noise and durability targets. It is a quality motor and bearing worthy of a flagship product.

However, all of that goes out the window if the bearing has been damaged. Hence the prominant warning given by Yamaha about proper preventative procedure pertaining precisely per platter placement. Mike at Liquid Audio was inspecting a damaged GT 2000. His comments on the deck should be seen to reflect that fact. Mentioning a 'bearing play issue" when talking about the GT 2000 without putting that in context is misleading.

Other gems in this thread include:

"Also, if you become an owner, do know there are Phosphor Bronze Platters to be found for sale and a YOP-1 standalone PS and a Phosphor Bronze Vacuum Platter Mat YDS-1. "

The vacuum platter mat was essentially the Audio Technica Vaccum Platter Mat. Which contained zero Phosphor Bronze.

" I can't add the Vintage Knob Link for the GT 2000, there is useful info on there to help you see less obscure info."

The Vintage Knob write-up about the Yamaha GT-2000 contains one very large error. It stated that the uprated bearing for the Yamaha GT 2000X(a different  turntable derived from the GT 2000)was done to enable the use of the 40 pound optional platter. That is incorrect on the part of The Vintage Knob site. The GT 2000 from its introduction in 1982 offered the option of using the 40 pound gunmetal platter. All GT 2000 models(GT-2000/GT 2000L/GT 2000X) were designed to utilise the optional 40 pound platter. Not just the GT-2000X. The Vintage Knob got that wrong and as it goes on the internet, mistakes persist and get quoted forever.

"Also the GT 2000 can be found with a 6Kg Plinth or a 18Kg Plinth."

I'll put this one down to a brainfart from the poster. If one substitutes the words platter for the words plinth in that sentence, the entire thing makes sense.

So, in summation:

If you have bearing play in a Yamaha GT 2000, it has been damaged.

If you rely on The Vintage Knob write up about the GT 2000 be aware that the 40 pound platter can be used on all GT 2000 models.

No GT 2000 model has a ball in the motor bearing.

Liquid Audio site June 2021 were dealing with a damaged GT 2000

The optional vaccum mat is not phosphor bronze.

There is a standard platter of 6.5Kg and an optional platter of 18Kg. There is no 6Kg plinth nor an optional 18Kg plinth.

Audiogon seems to be the place where misinformation about the GT 2000 comes to live. It should not be so. I hope this goes some way to clarify. Brecchi decided to get a different turntable eventually. I hope that he didn't have any problems.

Thank you to all who read and consider this post.