Would you pay more than 25% of MSRP for a used cartridge?

Seems most seller want to price their "low-hour" used cartridges at 50-80% of MSRP. This seems ridiculous to me because there is no sure way to verify these "low-hour" claims. You need to have specialized microscopes and even then it's a just a guestimate if worn or not. 

Another point is even a cartridge with 1000+ hours can still sound very good. A worn stylus will mistrack only on certain passages of certain demanding records. So it is nothing obvious.

So why do all these folks price their used cartridges so high? Are folks actually paying these prices?

My max. would be 25% of MSRP for any "low-hour" claim. 

12inch45rpm

Through detailed conversations within the past five years, the way I have come to understand the initial concern about the condition of the Cartridge is to investigate the Bobbin Assembly.

This is quite different to my old thoughts and methods to be only concerned about the Stylus condition, Mounting! > Wear ! 

In a Layman description, the Cantilever Anchors to the Bobbin Assembly and sets up the mechanical operation that will enable the Stylus to perform as per the designed for operation.

Any compromised materials discovered at this place in the assembly will be detrimental to the overall performance.

Hence, my skill set does not reach to this level, so I farm the inspection out to a much more reliable assessment, the bonus is the Stylus will also be evaluated along with other materials within the assembly.

When it is viewed with this in mind a Third Party Inspection starts to show its real value to the buyer. 

The many negative posts here underline the belief that everyone's dishonest.

Sad.

I misbought an Anna four years ago.  It's too heavy for my very light parallel tracking arm.  I ran it less than 20 hours (yes really).   It just didn't gel.

So I marketed it at half retail.  Guess what?  No takers.

I fitted it on my second TT with a heavy Zeta arm and it runs great.  But I hardly ever listen to it.

@clearthinker Why didn't you return your Anna if it wasn't a good match? I would think if you are buying new then that includes a no questions asked return policy.

Even when I buy used I make sure the seller is ok with returns . It's always the dishonest ones who push-back about that.