Would you move to a bigger house if you could just to have a better listening room ?

Let's see how crazy we are.

inna

My current house was chosen for its price and location. It just happened to have an area for my system that is the best I have ever had.

17' X 22'  plus pony walls to kitchen and hallway, that increases the open area with an additional  11' X 22'.

The lanai has two large doors opening to the main room giving some "breathing room" of an additonal 14' X 22'.

Vaulted ceilings are 15' with the peak inside the  the main room a few feet.

The lanai walls are only screen and all windows and doors in all this area are always open. (Even though it is a neighborhood, I check with the people nearest me and they say they don't here my music. Maybe they are all hard of hearing.)

I went minimal on equipment after decades of many pieces and some quite expensive, but this is the best sound I have ever had in my own home.

Still, the Big improvement, most recently accomplished, cost me nothing except my own labor moving hard and soft surfaces and changing adjustments that the speakers have built into them.

Having this hobby for 50 years, it can still be surprising what rooms and room treatment will do.

Again, this home was purchased because it was a bank foreclosure in 2010 and it was exactly the area we wanted to live.  Luck on both accounts.

That's a little hardcore for me.  I make do with what I have.  Being an audiophile is figuring these things out as best you can.  Not like a dog chasing its tail.

I downsized from a 3600 ft 1854 home with 14 ft ceilings on an acre.  It was just too big for 2 people and down to I dog from 3.  My new home has a much smaller listening room, but I am good with my set up.

Yeah, sometimes big is too big and when downsizing you are in fact normalizing and upgrading.

@inna And that’s just New England, imagine Montana or Wyoming.

Born, raised and lived most of my life in Western Montana. I built a nice home on 24 acres of timbered mountain side, backed by thousands of acres of National Forest Land. Nearest neighbors were down in the valley many acres away. The house had a large open beam living room, with great acoustics, dedicated to audio.

Would love to have that home and space back, but when you get older, man MT winters get tough.

Now retired and living in sunny AZ. I have a modest home on a couple of acres with few neighbors and managed to put together a very nice 14’x26’ audio room, so quite content for the foreseeable future.