Would McIntosh Auto Transformers affect speaker sound?

I have a question about McIntosh and its auto transformers. The auto transformers allow the wattage to be the same on all ohms. However, you have to pick which ohm to run on the amp to the speaker.

Since a speaker can be dynamic in ohms (dip between 8 ohms and 4 ohms typically), does this mean the McIntosh will not correctly match the dynamic range change? Would it cause the speaker not to give the same soundstage or holographic sound that a traditional amp would give? 

dman777

In this rare instance I actually agree with AudioTroy. The reason Mac amps sound so warm with otherwise neutrally voiced speakers is the autoformers. The same goes for other brands’ transformer-coupled output stages. It’s essentially the complete opposite end of the short-signal path design spectrum. 

I can't imagine any good reason for using an autoformer in modern high quality solid state amplification.

Sorry if this has already been covered but what is McIntosh’s reasoning for using autoformers in their modern equipment? Genuinely curious. Thanks

@som Wrote:

Sorry if this has already been covered but what is McIntosh’s reasoning for using autoformers in their modern equipment? Genuinely curious. Thanks

See here

Mike

Interesting posts, I generally value Audiotroy's experience however regarding Mac no. I stayed away from Mac for 30 years because of their no discount 'snooty' policy. Recently I replaced an amp with similar power into 4 ohms(my speakers claim) and more into 2 with a pair of MC611's. I'm not familiar with 'traditional' mac sound, but I can't imagine anything at or near the price offering the level of bass detail and depth at low and mid volumes. I think at loud volumes the room takes over and is why all amps will sound the same to so many listeners and many amps need to be pushed before they come to life, maybe that's why tube amps are still popular? anyhow if the autoformers are the reason Mac sounds so dynamic at any volume I'm surprised more companies haven't moved to them, seriously. smitten.