Woodsong Garrard 301, Artisan Fidelity 301, Shindo 301, SME 301, or etc.?

I feel fortunate to own a beautiful Woodsong 301. Chris Harban is great to work with and has an incredible amount of knowledge. I believe he is among a handful of the best restorers. Artisan Fidelity seems to also do a great job and may even surpass Woodsong. And there are others in the cottage industry doing restorations.
Then there is the venerable Shindo version and, now, SME bought the original Garrard name and design and has come out with version using mostly original parts but saying that they aim to manufacture new. But the general view says that the SME one doesn’t compare to the great restorers. Has anyone bought any of these or others?
mglik

Showing 3 responses by mglik

Chris at Woodsong does a complete rebuild including new platter.
In addition to highly developed plinths. Mine was $11K. Artisan Fidelity seems to go to a higher, but not necessarily better, level.
They are a few thousand more but Chris says that they farm out much accounting for the extra cost. Chris does everything himself and does an excellent job. I am thrilled with mine. Upgraded to a Triplanar arm and Lyra Atlas SL cart and Atma-Sphere MP-1 pre phono stage. Think his 301s are probably more like classic ones.
The SMEs are a new version and may also be more classic. No, only a SME arm. Think a 309. Maybe you can get a IV or V. But think they come only with the 309.
Do you have a 301? Rebuilt?
Chris Harban advised me not to switch to a much heavier platter.
That the 301 motor was not designed to move that much weight.
Although it does seem like a heavier platter would add thrust and a stronger tone. And the available heavy copper or brass platters are $1-2K. Does anyone have experience changing from a lighter to heavier platter?

A huge upgrade to my TT rig was putting it on a SRA VR platform. As always, never imagined there could be better SQ but I just changed from the entry level VR to the mid line Ohio Class.
Wow, what a difference! Why Ohio Class? Because SRA makes vibration control for nuclear submarines. Much more $ than a heavy platter but waaay worth it.
Heavy stuff on a 301 are a main issue.
Starting with a heavy platter. I will stay with Woodsong’s version of an appropriate platter. Not the original but not very heavy either. Think it is about 6 lbs. 
Think the slate and iron plinths are questionable. Woodsong’s plinth is a very carefully layered ply and panzerholtz affair. Not very heavy but appropriate for the rebuilt 301.
Then it is a question whether or not to use a platter weight.
I use a 2 lb Stillpoints weight and don’t notice any change.
Anyone getting good effects with a weight?