Will DAC always sound better going straight into a Power Amplifier?

Hi All,

I experimented today with plugging my Khadas Tone Board DAC straight into a Power Amp, and then using a vintage restored Yamaha solid state preamp in the chain...and the sound seemed to be clearer without the preamp.

Is this always the case, where a DAC will sound better directly connected to a power amp?

I see some expensive DAC offerings, like the Musetec 005 and the Holo Audio May, and was wondering that if i want to save up for one of them...if i have to save up for a preamp as well.

If it will cloud the sound, then i'll leave the preamp out of the mix.  Let me know your thoughts all!

I've read that some people have had experiences where the DAC sounds better through a preamp, so I'm not sure if there is a universal answer here or not.

128x128fai_v

using a vintage restored Yamaha solid state preamp 

That would not be my first choice.

My schiit dac didn't have enough potential.  My Chord does  So not always.

Ok, can you all recommend me some good vintage or 90's solid state preamps that could pair well with modern DACs like the Musetec 005 or Holo Audio May?  I want to do a vintage solid state preamp for now because i should be able to find it cheaper, and then do some restoration vs. a couple-thousand dollar tube preamp like Audio Research.

I had suggested the Yamaha preamp because of one of its stats:

Frequency response: 5Hz to 100kHz

This is being discussed on another thread, the most general common answer is NO, a pre-amp is still required for better SQ. Personal opinion every time iv tried to go direct from DAC to Amp it never sounds as good as a very good pre-amp in the chain.

However, if you are lacking a good pre---then its possibly better just to go direct.

@fai_v Hi, You can use the Musetec 005 without a pre-amp because it has a built in volume control which doesn't take much away. However a good pre-amp will give you a bigger, wider, deeper soundstage.

I prefer SS amps and pre-amps because they don't distort the sound but good SS is usually more expensive than valve equipment.

Usual suspects are Nelson Pass designs (Threshold, Pass etc.), Mark Levinson (but the power cable is underneath), Spectral (glorious but expensive), Conrad Johnson (SS and Valve).

I use SMC but they are hard to find.

Many more but these are among the best.