Will a DAC mellow Denon DCM 360

Will a low-end DAC help mellow the high freq edges of my Denon DCM 360 carousel. I've seen ads for the Soundstream DAC-1 ($100) and Musical Fidelity X-DAC ($70) around and wonder if they would be any help? Or is the money better spent on a different cd player? My system is Rotel RB-980BX amp(120 W), ROtel RC-972 pre-amp, B&W 601 series 2 speakers, DIY TNT-X 1.5 connects, and DIY Chris Venhaus Cat 5 (27 pair)teflon speaker cables. My current system sounds excellent for the $1,100 I paid (new speakers & stands, used electronics), except for the piercing highs on some cd's. The DIY cables & interconnects provided a great sonic improvement (excellent detail and soundstaging, much tighter bass) as compared to the cheap Radio Shack "Goldseries" connects and monster cable I was using. The only problem is that the better the interconnect/cables the more "edgey" highs that the CDP delivers.
darkmoebius917e

Showing 1 response by sugarbrie

You can't go too wrong trying the Soundstream DAC. If you don't like it you should be able to resell it an get your money back no problem. I try out equipment this way a lot. In my experience Rotel equipment also tends to be on the bright side with the one exception being the Rotel RCD-990 CD player mentioned (and probably the RCD-991). I use to own a Rotel RCD-940 years ago and found the Van Den Hul "The First" Interconnects worked wonders. It is a very detailed but still laid back cable. Read the reviews at Audioreview.com that confirm this. They are pricey new, but I've seen used pairs for $90 to $125 depending on length.