Why so much????

In response to a post appearing here yesterday a number of 'AGon-people' claimed to have CD and vinyl collections numbering in the hundreds and even thousands. Other posters questioned the need for so much music (impossible to listen to all of it!) while others spoke of a pissing contest among the 'overly endowed'.
Your thoughts are requested for the following questions:
1) How much is too much?
2) To those with so much...Why? What's your rationale?
3) Are you crazy?

Just curious. I'll give my thoughts later.
128x128ashra
I probably have close to 1500 CDs and 500 LPs. I know I listen to a few of them much, much more than the rest. Given that the GF is now moving in, for space reasons I decided to leave the bulk of them accessible only as mp3s and keep a couple hundred in the living room--the ones I really play a lot and the ones where audiophile quality really matters. Well, I went through my list of CDs looking for those "must haves" and came up with roughly 400 CDs (LPs are in the study, those stay.) It was kind of shocking to me--I was trying to restrict myself to those I know I've listened to on a regular basis over the last couple years.

Part of it, I think, is that I recognize that music can enhance/change my mood. So, there are times where I like digging up that one album that fits where I am at that moment. The sad part is that, even with all of the music in the living room, there are many many times where I can't find that one album that captures what I want...
Do you listen to your gear or your music?

I think in the end it probably makes more sense to spend most of your money on the music than your gear. Me, I only have about 100 cd's so far (yes, most of my $ is in my gear right now). I take my time collecting music, listening and enjoying finding new artists, styles, etc. I think it's the fun part of all this. I remember coming across Eva Cassidy, Robert Cray, Etta James, Mighty Sam McClain, Natalie Merchant, etc. and being completely blown away by these artists. I feel like a kid at Christmas rushing home with my new purchase to hear the whole CD. Yes, nice gear makes the sound even better, but even on my low-fi Yamaha carousel cdp, receiver and old Paradigm speakers they sound wonderful. Music just takes the edge off the day, allowing me to kick back and relax. In a world of politics, war, struggle for the legal tender, etc., I know of only one other fix that gives me more pleasure, my kids.

Oh, and sex (thats two)...:>)

Regards,
Why such a painfully obvious question for all of us to opine upon?

A certain level of obsession drives every true audiophile. It's the reason why we restlessly search, research and search again for that magic combination of electronics and accessories that enables us to feel as if the artists have stepped into the listening room with us.

That same obsession to a greater or lesser degree extends to the music we collect. Unless, of course you don't see the connection between hi-fidelity music playback systems and music.

lissen_up
IMHO

People collect lots of things -- some strange (to others), some not-so-strange. Mention of some of these items has already been made. Why do people collect things? To mark the passage of time. Who among us (even non-music collectors) cannot say "wow...I remember when I first heard *insert name of pertinent song here*..."? At the very least, a song can quickly take us back to a point in time that was, for whatever reason, pivotal.

Some of us even purposefully mark time with music. Four years ago, my wife and I had a son that we knew would not survive long. We spent only 6.5 hours with him -- and it was the most terrifying and joyous moment of my life. We spent that time listening to music that was important to us and that we wanted to share with him. To this day, I can no longer listen to those songs, but maybe one day I will be ready to and I will remember fully how precious and precarious life is.

Collect all you want, folks. It's your life. And besides, think of what a blast your kids will have going through it all after you're gone.
About a month ago, I was looking at my shelves of CDs for something to play. I pulled out "Empty Glass" by Pete Townshend, and as I was reveling in the uninhibited rage of "Rough Boys" I realized that I was listening to the first CD I ever bought.

Why so much? I agree. CD's should cost less. I bet I'd have twice as many then.

Tom