Why is black so popular for components?

A current post about the looks of gear got me thinking. How did black become the most popular color for audiophile gear? I can see it being popular for home theater where the gear might be at the front of a room where you want it as dark as possible but black was the color of choice well before home theater. Maybe it is as simple as people just like it but if that were the case I would think it would also be the most popular in other consumer items such as motor vehicles.  I remember when I wasn’t always fortunate to have a dedicated stereo room and my wife would ask me why I purchased black equipment because she thought it was ugly and I agreed with her but usually, I had no choice.  For manufacturers offering additional colors may be costlier but I am willing to pay for it. Fortunately , some companies that I like offer silver usually in the face plates which works for me. Odyssey Audio has numerous color options available for their faceplates for a nominal fee but as far as I know they are an exception.  A lot of speaker manufacturers offer different colors which is great, especially if you have to place them in a communal space like a living room.  So in summary why did black become the color for stereo gear ? How many of you would prefer color options?

128x128lwin

Showing 5 responses by cd318

It must be cost, and like the OP I too would pay extra for different finishes.

Anything but black. And no sharp corners either.

Looking back I'd say the late 1970s were the period for the most stylish designs.

Remember those Japanese tuners and tapedecks with their beautiful backlit VU metres and displays?

This chap certainly does, and also offers a decent impression of the human riff himself, 'Keef' Richards.

--------

Audiofiles. Can you hear a sound improvement (straight away)?

https://youtu.be/p-ZKBSlydJs
As has been said before, loudspeakers should be offered with not only different finishes but different coloured grilles. 

I used to have a pair of Tannoy speakers with silver grilles and they disappeared quite well against the white wallpaper behind them. I'm certain that helped with the perception of imagery.

With loudspeakers I think it's especially important because they are the item the most likely to be directly in constant line of sight. 

This is certainly a weird subject because with LEDs I'm fine with red or green, yet not too keen on blue! 

Now there's another point, do most listeners listen with eyes open or with eyes shut? 
@audio2design,

Yes, I think you're right. Blue kind of makes me a little too alert. Doesn't help to get that 'mellow mood' established.

Whereas the green light Arcam used on their 7 integrated amp was fine. Almost hypnotic.

I'd say that I tend to use music for relaxation above anything else.

Come to think of it, is there any audio component that's as easy on the eyes as a tube amp? Some of them look beautiful even before any music is being played.

Maybe it's something to do with race memory, you know all those centuries of our ancestors sitting around glowing fires.
Yes, my NAD amplifier and both NAD tape decks were all a shade of brown, with small variations. Not enough for incongruity but certainly noticeable.

NAD have stuck with brown, albeit a much darker near black shade nowadays.

Arcam on the other ditched the distinct brown shading of their gear in the 90s (curvy NAD?) and went for a more modern clean look with their Diva range and especially FMJ ranges.

Gone were the slight gentle curves and in came sharp straight lines. Both were available in dark brown and silver with the Full Metal Jacket Range managing to look very upmarket. As they should have with their more upmarket price.

Yet strangely enough Arcam seem to have changed the design once more and now their products once more look a little those of NAD, with a near black / brown finish.

You can only assume that these various changes have been carefully considered. NAD’s have been quite conservative but Arcam’s haven’t.

At a guess I’d say that the Diva and especially the FMJ range were adding unsupportable manufacturing costs so hence the revision to a basic functional look.

I bet Arcam now wish they’d copied NAD a little more.
robert_1,

"My living room is all wood, on the lighter shades of cherry"

Yes, that light and bright natural look.

Growing up I can remember just how 'busy' curtains, carpets and wallpaper used to look back in the 70s. Tons and tons of hallucinigenic flowery patterns everywhere.

Hardly anything coordinated.

I guess life is faster now and our environment doesn't have to be.