why do people feel the need to buy expensive cable

I have tried expensive cables and one's moderately priced. I would say there were some differences but I can't actually say the expensive cables were better. IMHO I believe a lot of people buy expensive cables because they don't actual trust their ears and are afraid of making a mistake. They figure the expensive cables are better for the fact they cost more. If you have a difference of opinion or share the same thoughts, I would like to hear about it.
taters

gdhal
"
It’s oft times quite humorous and entertaining to read opinions about so called exotic cables that second guess what people who actually have experience with them say. What the ding dong?Except the "experience" cannot be reliably duplicated when any kind of objective test is brought to bear."

Actually that is completely false and a untruth that some here like to repeat ad infinitum in the hope that with sufficient repitition the untruth will be accepted as truth however I will say in the defense of those who promote this untruth I believe many actually believe it and have either done no testing or insufficient testing to assert they're claim with any genuine authority but of course those who have actually undertaken the testing know much better! 
Post removed 
Gdhal, "Untrue, to the extent there is any audible distinction a human can detect with the naked ear."

This is not true there is research to suggest that while our ears may not have responses noted in the brain of anything over 16k Hz, in noting the pleasure center of the brain on high fidelity recording when the highs above 16k are removed pleasure drops sharply.

Apparently there are other means by which the brain becomes aware.

But in reality no one is obligated to prove they hear differences in cables. You never are asked to prove that you don't hear a difference.
I might add that nobody ever asks why people buy expensive cars, wines, tvs, or steaks. What are you objective measures for these?

I don't give two hoots what you like.