Why do Cyrus get such praise from What HiFi???

I had a complete Cyrus system, well amp and cd player and the special PSU units for both. The cd player packed in after a few months. The trouble with them was that because the player played therm at a lower speed, (apparently to get the most info off the disc without resorting to error correction), they were very poor at reading less than pristine cds, or in some cases, cds!
I actually had to send the unit back 6 times, along the way getting a brand new unit. To no avail. The cruncher was when the little standby button on the front vanished into the case. The cost for repair? £250!! This was despite the fact that the unit had only recently returned from Cyrus after yet another repair. The reason Cyrus gave was that the front of the unit with the buttons on was one piece, but also that all repairs are £250 regardless, to keep it fair!!! So £250 for a plastic button. I was so offended by Cyrus products that I refused to pay and they told me I had to pay return postage to the dealer, I told them to keep it...boy that felt good.
Later my top of the range Cyrus amp got hot and decided commit suicide. Due to the design using a shoebox shape, the output transistor had given up the ghost. It went back for repair. A few weeks later once again the amp turned off, blazing hot to the touch. The heat this time just triggered the overtemp sensor and poof. I hadn't even been pushing it that hard.
Result, sell the lot, I won't have Cyrus in the house again. Their customer service was snooty and the products fall well short of what I expect at that price. SO, why do What HiFi constantly praise them without mentioning their abysmal  reliability? The dealers I have spoken to confirm that they have a "frightening" number of Cyrus products back that have failed
spikey123

hey I opened an account to respond to this, my first post here...

I brought a Cyrus 7 second hand amp in 2003 while living in England, and a Cyrus DVD second hand as well. 

Also got a second hand FM tuner 7.5  and run them daily

In about 20 years of hard use my only problem has been one of the inputs is now crackly, no problem, just moved those cables to another input

Sound is amazing, running through some Celestion A1's that I also brought around 2003 and took back to Australia with me.

Maybe I have been lucky, judging by the other comments in this thread. But I have been so happy with it, I have had some pretty good surround systems during this time, high end Denon's and Yamaha's but normally just switch it over to the Cyrus/Celestion combo which has no problem shaking the room if needed.

Every bit of Cyrus gear I have ever had the unfortunate experience of owning - minus the psx r power supplies - has failed. 

Theres also a worrying correlation - in my experience - with the more high end stuff having the worst reliability issues. 

Last to fail was the CDi last week - apparantly their flagship cd player. Not much use if it cant play discs and skps around non stop that my linn classik reads perfectly. 

I dont think ill bother informing cyrus, as after my 8vs2 failed for reasons unkown last month I got no advice, help, or offer of anything. Least of all an apology. Just a verging on rude email from a chap in an office. I definitely think theres something fishy going on regarding their close connection with what hifi

I must day -I have better luck with Cyrus gear.

I have Signature phonostage with outboard psu and found it very very good- in line with what hifi findings. I have CDt as well - and it's exceptional fom sound quality point of view. Better than Ikemi and Jays Audio I had as transport.

Yes-it's less tolerant to bad disks but this is feature-not bug.

It's the reason for better sound. Just do the copy of defective disk and no problems.

I think Audio reviews, adivice from friends, should be taken as a guidance rather than dogma. And the more adivce one can get,the more well rounded opinions and or experiences one can get to make your final decision. Also, Try to read between the lines. Is the opinion coming from a sellers point of view? Read and reread the sentences and each individual word. trying to scrutinize the whole sentence.

One issue with Reviews is the financial relationship between the advertisers and the content producers.  Another is the long term reliability product issue.  If a reviewer has the product for two weeks and there is a high failure rate after 3 months you will never know this from a review.  
  And then there is the preferential treatment reviewers get.  How many times have you seen in Stereophile “The component wouldn’t play after I plugged it in so I called the CEO who took his private jet to my home the next day and spent hours fixing it”?  Certainly the average Jose won’t get that level of attention.  I find internet reviewers who aren’t priority targets for the manufacturer to be more useful in that their experience is more predictive for the average consumer