Why are there so many wooden box speakers out there?

I understand that wood is cheap and a box is easier to make than a sphere but when the speaker companies charge tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars for their speakers, shouldnt consumers expect more than just a typical box? Are consumers being duped?

Back in the 70’s a speaker engineer found that a sphere was best for a speaker. A square box was the worst and a rectangular box was marginally better.

The speaker engineers have surely known about this research so why has it been ignored?

Cabasse is the only company doing spheres. Should wooden boxes be made illegal

kenjit

Guess one of the advantages of the spheres is that you will have smaller holes in your exterior walls for their placement vs those for a box wooden speaker. Yes , don’t forget that little kenjit nugget

Now we know why all the women or men in Kenjit’s life left him all alone. Lack of good wood ... ;-)

Why have a box or even an enclosure of any kind. Magnepan figured it out long ago. 

@kenjit 

So what shape are my Rockport Avior ii speakers considered to be ? 

Oh wait never mind. I don’t care what shape they are considered to be because they sound really F…..G good to me! 

Happy holidays everyone and happy listening!

KEF Blade

B&W (multiple)

Sonus Faber Venere 

Wilson (multiple)

Devialet

Bang and Olufsen

Gallo

Estelon Forza

Magnepan

And so on. Many play with shape but sometimes it's inside a box as well.  When the original tests on box speakers were done, much of the issue was that it was just an open box inside,  then stuffing was added (acoustical treatment). Then internal baffling,, and so on. Rear loaded horns don't sit well so often boxes are added. But in general a box is easier to work with,  and for many straight Clean lines are preferred.  So the "box works ". And if the ears are happy the soul is happy.