Whole House Surge Arrester

I was looking into getting a whole house surge arrester.  The only issue that I ran into was the limited warranty of 5 years.  Basically - what that means is that I will have to change out/replace the arrester every 5 years (by a certified electrician) if I want the warranty.  It's probably $150-$200 labor cost to install (plus the cost of the arrester ~$200), but still seems like an unnecessary expense. I looked around, but it seems that the 5 year warranty seems pretty standard.  Anybody install one with a 10 yr/> $50k warranty?

Thanks in advance.

128x128rdk777

Showing 2 responses by rdk777

Gentlemen - thanks for your responses.  Although I am not prone to lightning surges where I live, there is a possibility of other types of surges (faults etc). 

Once the warranty expires, the SA will likely still work, but there is no guarantee. To me, that defeats the purpose of getting the SA in the first place. 

@erik_squires - thanks for the info on the Siemens SA's - does look like they have a 10 yr warranty, but I couldn't find info on $ coverages - I will do further research.  I don't think that my electric utility offers surge protection - I'll have to inquire.