Who needs a Preamp??

Seriously, if your cd/dvd player has volume control as my Oppo does.
and you own a phonostage with volume as my PS audio does,  then
you your issues are:
-how to power a sub
-how to listen to tv thru your system

Who believes that a preamp Improves sound??

gadios
I am also a poster child for preamps.  Won’t go into the dozens I have built and owned, but I love preamps! Beyond infatuation at this stage in our long relationship. Yep, it depends says it all.  
To use or not to use preamp it depends from a system and amplifier topology.

I use SET 300B amplifier. And in this topology the short signal path is important.
My amp is integrated and it is a good solution for low power SET amplifiers.
I also have an external phono stage for vinyl source.
Both phono stage and DAC are connected to input of my integrated SET.

If someone use more powerful amplifiers (especially mono-blocks) with more sophisticated circuit and long signal path it is more reason to use preamp.
To answer your question, IMO.  Without a preamplifier you are listening to audio components but with a preamplifier, you are listening to music.  
Ok, sorry a question that ha probably been answered before but I cant seem to find.

To open up my speakers (reduce impedance? - decrease the brakes put on them by volume) do I keep my volume on my amp up high and control volume with my DAC or vice versa?

My equipment: (I am sure midfi to many of you)
Innuos to Comet Exogal DAC to Audion KT 120 amp to Rethm Saadhana

I was interested in this thread because when I use my TT (Rega Planar 6) I have to then go through my Audio Hungary APR 204 pre-amp as it is my phone stage
itsjustme +1

The title of this thread motivated me to bypass my dac/pre

My Oppo 105 V V C sounds a whole lot better after I upgraded the IEC to one on Ebay that includes a heavy gauge silver wire harness. I further improved the sound when I replaced the OEM power module to one with a large toroid and superior parts. And while that made a quantum SQ jump it was when I upgraded my 1.0m XLR cable to WireWorld series 8 and replaced my AA DPA-1 with Ric Schultz EVS 1200 (newest IcePower dual 600w modules), which he then tweaks, that has me wondering whether a preamp is needed: I love this amp!.

Since bypassing my Audio Alchemy DDP + PS 5 power supply preamp a few days ago (not chump change), which I bought to play Redbook via my Marantz HD CD 1), I have listened primarily to SACDs, but 2 days ago I tried Redbook again. So far so good- very good, in fact. It seems that eliminating a power cord, and various digital cables (and another source with its PC and digital cables) can’t hurt WHEN the source has been, or is, improved
hth