which cables to I need for my NAIM NAP 250 DR ?

just picked up this amp on clearance, trying to connect it to the XLR outputs on my RME ADI-2 DAC FS

I don’t have the correct interconnect or speaker cables

is this the correct type of interconnect I need?

where can I buy a better/custom one of these?

Also, what speaker cables can I get under $1000? it seems like the amp needs bannanas with short pins?

thanks in advance

audiocanada

I highly recommend DHLabs as really good budget cables and Cardas. Cardas are kind of calibrated to the kind of equipment they are going to be connected to.

If there is a lot of discussion of what great detail your equipment has (in reviews or by yourself), then Cardas… it is very musical and will take the edge or fatigue off while delivering powerful bass. If your equipment is natural and musical DHLabs will deliver greater detail.

ok so further research shows I evidently require an XLR to dual RCA specifically wired for NAIM

two vendors mentioned here often already suggested to me to just get their standard xlr to dual xlr y cable,

apparently completely incorrect

naim requires speciel cabling weare a major Naim dealer 

the cable you linked to wont work

we have wireworld build custom din cables for us which sound better then naims cables

Dave ane Troy

Audio intellect NJ.

Naim and Wireworld dealers.

@audiocanada - Naim exists in their own universe of cables. They do not promote connections to other brands

It would appear that they use a single 3 pin XLR connector with L/R/Neutral wiring

• see this link NAP-250
  • scoll down to the back panel image and move your mouse pointer over the input on the image for a magnified view of the pin connections

You may be able to get converter cables made up to suite your needs. Try to find a local technician to accomplish this

• I would opt for an RCA to the NAIM XLR plug

As far as Speaker cables go, you need to stay away from high capacitance cables like the TOTL Cardas cables and some Kimber kables models

• NAIM amps are a high current design and using high capacitance cables can drive the amp to oscilation, which can burn out internal components

I’m not familiar with the model you mention, but I did own a Naim 5i at one time, so I did a lot of research around this topic.

BTW, Naim recommends replacing the power capcitors after 10-12 years. My caps failed after 11 years and cost me $400 to replace - I was without the amp for 3 weeks

Welcome to the world of NAIM

Naim are good amps if you buy into their philosophy (many people do)

I unloaded mine and replaced it with a Bryston B135

• better sounding than the Naim, but had similar dynamics and neutral sound qualities
  • comes with a 20 year warranty

Apologies for the not-so-good news

If you have any questions ask away

BTW I’m in the collingwood area - if you want to chat you can get my details here

My Audio Alchemy (image99.net)

Regards - Steve