Where Do I Go from Here?

As I neared my 75th birthday, I decided that it was time for my “end game” audio system. Thus, for the past 2-1/2 years, I have slowly and carefully upgraded my sources, my amplification, and my cabling – with very pleasing results. At this time, I have:

Digital – Bricasti M19 SACD transport and M21 DAC; Shunyata Sigma V2 Ethernet and DH Labs Air Matrix Cryo analog interconnect cables.

Analog – Technics SL-1200G turntable w/Ortofon headshell; Hana SL cartridge; Cardas Clear Cygnus phono cable; PS Audio Stellar phono amplifier; Wireworld Eclipse 8 interconnect cables.

Amplification – Theta Digital Casablanca V preamplifier; McIntosh MC611 mono amplifiers (L, C, & R); Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8 speaker cables and Eclipse 8 analog interconnects.

Currently, I own Revel Ultima Studio (L & R) and Voice (center) loudspeakers as well as two SVS SB-16 subwoofers. I purchased all three Revel speakers in 2004, and they have served me well for the past 20 years. Except when listening to multi-channel SACD for watching Blu-ray concerts, I only use my main left and right speakers. My media room has four walls and a door; its size is around 6,000 cubic feet.

What I have been wrestling with is whether, given my other equipment (which I have no intent on replacing), I should buy new speakers and, if so, which should I consider. Recently, for example, I listened to a pair of Rockport’s Avior IIs, albeit using source components and amplifiers different than mine. They seemed perhaps better in some regards, but not so much so as to make a compelling case to purchase them as an upgrade. Another friend, who just acquired his PS Audio FR30 speakers, is urging me to consider buying a pair of the FR30s.

There certainly are numerous speaker lines out there. Consequently, I decided to post my “dilemma” here and invite others to provide their suggestions (ideally with their reasoning). My absolute top budget is $50K. However, this purchase would be funded by my retirement savings, and I certainly would prefer spending less. Also, maybe the better course is to keep my Revels and be happy and content with what I already have.

Many thanks for your reading this entire posting.

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xjmeyers

Steaksta — What a compelling recommendation. Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts here. I shall track down where I can hear the K2s. 

Steaksta:

I just read reviews on the K2's-----pretty unanimous praise. The word "addictive" comes up often. That's what it's all about, isn't? I may have to check them out.

It’s not worth blowing your retirement savings! By all means, be happy and content with what you have, for it’s a lot better than most. Simply enjoy it!

Post removed