Where do I go from here?

We finally moved into a home that allows me to unbox the remnants of a system that I boxed up almost 20 years ago.  After two decades, I'd forgotten what I had until I unboxed a pair of Martin Logan Class, a pair of Acoustat 1+1s, a Robertson 6010.  At one point I owned a BAT VK-60, butsold that and an Audible Illusions preamp around  2008...a decision that I regret today.  I also uncovered new replacement panels for the CLSs.  Since this stuff has been boxed-up I've been away from audio completely.  That's about to change.  I plan to continue enjoying the CLSs and plan to return to tube tube amps.  I loved the VK-60's sound and it looks fantastic.  

My question is more about streaming.  My sense is that I get away with a streamer, subscribe to a service, and use it as my pre-amp connected to the power amps. ..  Is it that simple?  I don't want to deal with  CDs or vinyl.  I want to simplify my life.  I'm looking for feedback.  Is my plan viable? 

patrickalston

Showing 1 response by musicfan2349

@patrickalston , I too have a pair of Acoustat 1+1s that I've owned since new. If they've not been energized for 20 some years, there's a good chance they need some work done. The panels are remarkably sturdy so I'm suspecting it's the transformers that are needing some attention. There's a fellow by the name of Roy Esposito who used to service them. You might see if he's still around:

acoustat.service.usa@gmail.com

With regards to streaming, As you're just coming back on-line after a hiatus, I'd like to suggest you start with something simple like a Bluesound Node2i. For around $550 new, you get an easy to set up and use streamer and DAC combo. (You can also find them used for about half that all day on the various sites like ebay and here on Agon.) It's easily controlled by their free downloadable app on your phone or tablet:

https://www.bluesound.com/downloads/

If you have Amazon prime, you're already paying for a music service that the Node can access. In fact, here's a list of supported Cloud music services:

https://www.bluesound.com/products/node-2i/

(Just scroll down to the spec page)

That will get you started! Eventually you can either swap out the Node2i for something more up-market or do what I did by upgrading the power supply and integrating an external DAC. 

Welcome back! Happy listening...