When I listen to my system.......

As I have stated many times, I listen to the musicianship and the composition. As I listen to SRV, just as an example, there are three musicians working together to create a "performance". How is it that anyone can put tone, sound staging, or anything else with the "sound" before the performance. There is much information on our recordings, and generally, many of these recordings are just so so with the fidelity. In fact, why do many listeners only listen to top notch recordings of higher fidelity, of the "sound", rather than appreciate those qualities I look and listen for. Is it because I was a singer / vocalist in my youth? Is it because I was around musicians who shared the joy of "music"? Is it because at a very early age, I was introduced to big band music and eclectic performances by so many, via my dad (he would have been 100 today; happy birthday dad). Yes, I consider myself an audiophile, because I spend money on gear and am careful with my dedicated room....my system allows me to hear more of the performance. But, it is the "music", the "performance", that matters most to me. I suppose I am feeling a bit nostalgic today, because of my pops. I am bringing this up again, because I do not understand the mentality of folks who listen differently than I. I know this subject might be ad nauseum to many, but some of the folks I used to design systems for, became less interested in the music, and more about the sound, placing the music and performance secondary, or not at all. I am just venting. If you would like to add to this post, I welcome all thoughts. No judgement from me. I wish everyone well. Enjoy! MrD.

mrdecibel

@inagroove I regularly listen to mediocre recordings with excellent musicianship and composition, so I am not quite sure what you mean, other than to guess, you might be the type of audiophile who listens differently than I do. As long as you are happy. Someone above mentioned they could not listen to SRV, and I am guessing their taste in music is different than mine. The reality is, our recordings "are of music", chosen by the musicians and producers as being good enough (musical performance and composition) to mass produce for us, the listeners. Don't get me wrong, as I do appreciate excellent recording quality. My system is startling in it's delivery, but I am all about the music, first. There has not been a hifi / audio system that I have heard playing recordings that approaches live unamplified music, even systems using 30 IPS mastering machines / tapes, which has been the best source of recorded music that I have heard. I believe I found my answers to my questions, thank you, and I am not surprised by some of the responses. Enjoy! My best, MrD.

@immatthewj ....*wry Grin*  Oh...damn....and here I thought it was just another off-the-scruff absurdism from yours unruly..... ;)

One can only thumb wrestle over cables, connectors, and the plethora of products that flow off keys around here that after awhile the only subject on the last page of the mise-en-scene is each others' obviously flawed perception of how another is getting It Wrong.....?!

Hendrix was right.... "...gotta gotta gotta get away...." *LOL*phew* ;)

I have read most of these posted here today and I see many experiences are similar to mine. This is my first tweet. I'm retired now and have spent more time on the hobby than most people I know. Since my first pocket radio or the 8 track player I bolted under my Mustang dash with 6×9 speakers, I have upgraded to the home stereo I have today. The type of music I tend to enjoy is a good melody with comprehensible lyrics. Strings, drums and vocals move me most. Even now I'm finding little tweeks to my system that improve sound reproduction to my ears. It really is a personal experience which will not matter to others. I've used room correction for years which was a selling feature of my controller. Lately I prefer it to be switched off. Go figure...tweeks. 

Back when I was drinking and/or indulging in the recreational use of illicit and licit drugs while I was listening, my standards were different.  

@immatthewj ....for yours unruly, it only made me worse and more demanding of being 'closer to the edge'....

But, such as it is......