For me its the first or very early LP's of:
Allman Brothers - "Allman Joys" "Idyllwild South"
Santana - "Santana" 200 g reissue
Emerson Lake and Palmer - "Emerson Lake and Palmer"
and,
Beethoven - "Piano Concerto No. 4 in G Major" Rudolph Serkin/Ozawa/BSO
slipknot1

Showing 25 responses by relayer101

@big_greg  Great selections. Jimmy Page is definitely the king but on Whole Lotta Love the Bass and Drumming is what really gets me and can show off a nice system.
I had an opportunity to turn up the volume more so than usual so thought I would take advantage of the extra time with a few choice selections.

Led Zeppelin I Side 2.
Led Zeppelin II Side 1.
Pink Floyd Echoes. Pink Floyd DSOTM Side 2.
Crazy Horse Self Titled. This album is a hidden gem.
Wound it down with John Coltrane A Love Supreme.

All on great sounding early pressings. 

BoDeans - their first album Love & Hope & Sex & Dreams from 1986 on WB's Slash Records. If you're familiar with this band you've got to love the song Misery. 
Jeff Beck Group - with the Orange on the cover. Early 70's Epic Records pressing. Jeff Beck is off the rails on the song Going Down. And with some great Max Middleton piano to boot. 
@spiritofradio

how's the SQ on that Steve Winwood record?

The SQ is inconsistant with some songs really good and others not so good. I purchased the album twice a few years ago. The first one purchased had a skip on the second song that I couldn't fix. I returned it and the second copy did not skip but the SQ was about the same. I had the CD first and to me it sounds much better than the record. It's a shame because it's a great live album.
Stevie Winwood - Winwood Greatest Hits Live. Jazzed up renditions of his songs from the Spencer Davis Group, Blind Faith, Traffic, and solo. Great backing band on a number of extended versions of his songs. 
I’ll give another thumbs up to the great Boz Scaggs song Loan Me A Dime. I have it on the Duane Allman Anthology from 1972. There are a number of great songs on the album from other artists with Duane on guitar. Not to mention Aretha Franklin’s version of The Weight. 
I did see him conduct and wish I would have kept the programs because I can’t remember what pieces they were. The memory is not what it used to be. 
@bkeske.  I lived in Buffalo when Michael Tilson Thomas was the Music Director of the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra when he was barely 30 years old. What a great career! 
Winding down the night with Luigi Cherubini Requiem in D Minor. Czech Philharmonic on Deutsche Gramophone purchased at Half Price Books years ago. Near Mint and sounds great.
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew. Sealed Ebay find of the 2015 reissue on Columbia/Sony/Legacy. It sounds very good to me but I don't have anything better to compare it to that may be some of the preferred versions out there so I'm very happy with this find. Dead quiet vinyl. 
Roger Waters - The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking. Old Columbia pressing that sounds really good. Great guitar by EC on this one.

Linda Ronstadt - Prisoner In Disguise

Next up Pete Townshend & Ronnie Lane - Rough Mix 
Following up on all of the Jayhawks postings. All of the albums of theirs that I have are from my CD buying days so I just had a look on Music Direct and Acoustic Sounds to see what was out there on vinyl. Everything they carry from Blue Earth up to Rainy Day Music are all awaiting repress so I guess I will have to wait. 
With that said I have always thought the CD's sounded good. Blue Earth especially sounds really fantastic on the CD release that I have but my curiosity is now up to check out some on vinyl.
Jethro Tull - Songs From The Wood and Heavy Horses on deck. Both on early Chrysalis Records pressings from 1977 and 1978.
The Rod Stewart Album on Mercury Records from 1969. Rod was so good in the early days and Ronnie Wood really shined on Bottleneck Guitar. 
Next up in queue is Jeff Beck Truth with Rod on vocals. A remastered Mono copy that I picked up a few years ago.
I think I'll follow that up with the Faces A Nod is As Good as a Wink. 
Have to stick to the plan.
I had to spin Ringo’s self titled album from 1973 after reading a prior post. Definitely great drumming by Ringo and Jim Keltner and also great Bass by Klaus Voormann. Ringo has always known how to surround himself with great musicians. Billy Preston, Nicky Hopkins, Bobby Keys, Tom Scott, Marc Bolan, and The Band to name a few. And of course George, John, and Paul.
Great album.
Chicago Transit Authority - Early Columbia 2-Eye pressing from 1969. 
Unbelievable back to back guitar songs with Terry Kath on South California Purples and I'm A Man.
Had to follow up the Stones Now! with Out Of Our Heads. Red boxed London Long Playing Mono LL 3429 pressing from 1965. 
@slaw.. you just played two of my favorites. Emmylou and Patty Griffin. Add Linda Ronstadt and Lucinda and you'll catch them all.
@mammothguy54...Thanks for the tip on the Spirit reissue on Music On Vinyl. I've had good luck with excellent pressings from MOV and find them hard to pass up. I never had the opportunity to see Spirit in concert. Must have been phenomenal.
Rolling Stones - Now! Early pressing from mid 60's with the blue unboxed London logo and Long Playing label. Great used record I picked up about 20 years ago at a great LRS Black Dog Records. 
Warning on the back of the album sleeve to "Play this record only on Stereophonic Equipment". 
I do usually prefer the Mono versions of the early Stones albums but this one sounds exceptionally good. It's just got that great blues sound of the early Stones albums. 
Spirit - Late 70's repress of their 1970 album Twelve Dreams Of Dr. Sardonicus. 
Another great psycodelic band to come out of California in the 60's. 
Spinning Van Morrison’s Astral Weeks. It’s a repress from the mid 70’s that I bought at that time and not an original pressing from 1968 but still very nice. He was right on target using all acoustic instruments for this album. You can hear the plucking of the strings on the Double Bass throughout the album and especially on Madame George. Just incredible production. Definitely ranks in the top ten of my all time favorite albums.