For me its the first or very early LP's of:
Allman Brothers - "Allman Joys" "Idyllwild South"
Santana - "Santana" 200 g reissue
Emerson Lake and Palmer - "Emerson Lake and Palmer"
and,
Beethoven - "Piano Concerto No. 4 in G Major" Rudolph Serkin/Ozawa/BSO
slipknot1

Showing 50 responses by slaw

They both have really nice SQ but don't achieve those heights that Moby Dick climbed.

Got in my Fleetwood Mac "Rumours" 45rpm this week. I now have both the 33 & 45 that were remastered and pressed at Pallas. My luck, there"ll be a one - step version out soon.
The differences I'm hearing on the 45 rpm are, a clearer presentation, snappier transients, fuller mids and bass. Not deeper bass but more full.
Mr. Mailman just brought me The Flaming Lips "American Head"

I'm thinking this could be a sleeper.
The Flaming Lips "American Head" is , so far meeting all of my expectations.

Loving it!
David Knopfler "Release"  Passport Records/1983

Listened to this last evening. Decided it needed special care. It received it’s first US clean and flattening. Up now. This is a sleeper lp. Recommended!
@big_greg,

Noticed your listening to many Japanese pressings. Wondering how they, if they do, bring you more joy?

This isn’t meant to be an avenue to bash, just a way to learn. Have you compared to other pressings of same lps?

This may be a good thread topic?
@bkeske,

I got fed up with pro football years ago. Having said that, I'd love to know that  the Browns went all the way. Good luck!
Brian,

I own two copies:

Island ILPS 9348 /US
Hannibal HNBL 4404 /UK

Last time I compared, years ago, the Hannibal won the SQ game
Brian,

I bought several RH lps at a record show a few years ago, all were from the same owner as he left his writing on the labels and jackets. My copy is Verve FT-3034.
The vinyl is in great shape.
@mammothguy54,

Is your "Then Play On" a UK? The UK had "Oh Well" on it. I bought their remastered boxes last year and they sound great!

Of course if you want to pay $50 + for the recent remaster, it has it or you can go for the box at way less than $50 per lp.
@noromance,

First, thanks for reminding me of the Maggie Bell album. Albums that are quiet are SO much more enjoyable. I lucked up on my copy over 25 years ago as it looks unplayed and it sounds unplayed for a 45 year old record. Your Janis comparison is noted but Janis is more raw and gutterly, whereas Maggie is a little more refined. Anyhow, the music is great, SQ is great. Recommended!!