Allman Brothers - "Allman Joys" "Idyllwild South"
Santana - "Santana" 200 g reissue
Emerson Lake and Palmer - "Emerson Lake and Palmer"
and,
Beethoven - "Piano Concerto No. 4 in G Major" Rudolph Serkin/Ozawa/BSO
slipknot1

Showing 50 responses by slaw

@tomic601 ,

The lead singer of TNP reminds me of Lou Reed's vocal stylings.
Graham Nash "Songs For Beginners"
Classic RecordsWhat a great album title.

James👍
@dayglow,

Just curious as to why you only listen to one side of each album. Time constraints?

Here's my thoughts about your question to @tomic601.

Years ago I'd follow up my record listening posts with a 0 - 10 scale. I thought it was a good thing to do. Never really had any responses from that. (Of course this is involving ongoing system changes). I then went to a SQ = EX or SQ = VG or SQ = OK.

Now just using Highly recommended, recommended both with some !!!! added depending on the degree of my recommendation.

Anyway, there's no right or wrong way IMO. I think it really boils down to the length of time posting here and how one knows/understands you/your posts.

Glad you're here.
@spiritofradio,

By fancy, do you mean re- mastered with all the special care on 45 rpm? I hope you have the standard issue.

You know my next question.
I guess the word "pretentious" struck me the wrong way as I felt it didn’t belong

Sounds fun Greg. My streaming experiment has gotten bigger than I envisioned. Really enjoyable though.

Good day fellows and fellowettes.

Gonna replay Mary Chapin Carpenter "Sometimes Just the Sky" Recommend

Finally got in the following after their 6 weeks in the USPS system:

Suzanne Vega "An Evening of New York Songs & Stories"
The Police "Every Move You Make/The Studio Recordings" box
The SV above is wonderful IMO. I own most of her studio lps. They sound great. This live lp from Cafe' Carlyle in NYC is warm and intimate. Sounds very analog to me. Comparing this one to her studio lps may be kind of like going from solid state amp/s to tube amp/s.

Recommended, wonderful!
Well "Outlandos d' Amour" is a treat! The Police 1st lp sounding mighty fine. Looking back through my records, I don't own this one. From my memory, none of The Police sound this good. There's no edginess to Sting's voice. The midrange is perfectly suited for this music and transitions very well into the punchy lower mids to the low bass. Transients are tight and clean.

Up now "Reggatta De Blanc"
"GITM": sounded wonderful, just like their earlier lps.

"Synchronicity" on now.

This was an lp that was revered by reviewers early on.
OK, "ZM",

Same consistent SQ. As the lp played, I found myself more drawn in. Turned the volume up. It sounded better and better.

Up now, "Ghost in the Machine"
BTW, another lp I got in is Calexico "Hot Rail". I changed my cleaning procedure to preclude presteaming on every lp to just those that looked to need it. After it's US clean, one side had what looked like plasticizer had leached onto the vinyl. I've seen this before. I steamed that side and that cured it.

Will be on later. 
"Reggatta De Blanc" has very similar SQ. Nothing wrong here in comparison to the 1st lp.

Up Now... "Zenyatta Mondatta" 
Starting in on the 2018, The Police studio albums box set. Recorded @ Abbey Road/half speed/ from the original analog masters (supposedly)

"Outlandos d’ Amour"

The lps look beautiful.
Made it through the 5 studio lps. One lp of b-sides left for another day.

I Highly Recommend The Police 2018 box set!!!!
@mammothguy54,

That was my thinking before I heard this.

Like I said, I own 3 copies of "GITM", prior to this.

Have a Nice Day!
Sometimes I rely on my glass break sensor to let me know how loud I’m getting when the music is just sounding so good that I just want to keep increasing the volume. Now Is one of those times.
Half way through "GITM"

SQ has been consistent throughout, so far. Thinking about that.....
With other bands, especially through the 60 _70s’, there was a noticeable SQ difference on songs, even on a single lp. Why? They wandered off throughout the world, I assume, seeking some kind of influence or an additional source of inspiration.

The Police seemingly were immune to this. Knowing they did not do drugs and had fewer albums than most BIG groups.