Allman Brothers - "Allman Joys" "Idyllwild South"
Santana - "Santana" 200 g reissue
Emerson Lake and Palmer - "Emerson Lake and Palmer"
and,
Beethoven - "Piano Concerto No. 4 in G Major" Rudolph Serkin/Ozawa/BSO
slipknot1

Showing 50 responses by slaw

@mammothguy54,

I usually point people to this thread "Thumbs up for ultrasonic record cleaning" under Analog. Lots of good info there.

DIY = do it yourself. Many people here have gone this route and have found it to be superior for much less money. It isn’t a plug + play or a put a record in and play when it’s done unit. I can guarantee a DIY machine will get your lps cleaner than most high dollar units.

Look at my systems page for a front view picture of my current DIY set-up.

Steve
OK, here goes.......

Side one of "GHS", ( mine came in somewhat warped),
First, just a little preamble, I bought my only other copy in/around 1975. Always loved it. It is not the usual Rolling Stones music afterall, but always registered with me. I think most will say this was always an underrated record because of it’s then SQ. My copy always sounded sort of muddy/dull/not much detail. So when I saw this newly re-mastered version, and given I’m a dedicated vinyl guy, it seemed to be a no-brainer.

After the first few notes on side one, I was left not knowing what to think. The SQ was just so different from my memory of this lp. As I moved forward through the first side, I realized it is much better than I was use to but my feeling is it will take many more listenings to truly understand how much better this lp is than the original or any other lp copy of this lp is..
So far, my recommendation is to turn it up to at least 1 o’clock.

Now, side 2.
Bass lines are/have been easy to follow. Nice detail. Wide soundstage. It seems so far, this record was limited to the quality of the recording studio at the time. The lyrics, the mood is/are so thoughtful and soulful which really gets to the heart of this great record and why it is to me, so special. In the end, a conservative rating will be an 8. But this record just so connects with me, it's enjoyable rating is a 9.

Lp 2 up later, and will be just "gravy".

Brian,

I bought an as new Zephyr MIMC *  (.04)   a few weeks ago. Haven't mounted it yet.
uber,

I have "Release", always loved "Madonna's Daughter".

The Flying Burrito Brothers "Burrito Deluxe"

2020/Intervention Records

With "Mystery To Me" I get a sense of this era FM transitioning into their later sound.
While waiting on the other lps from the FM box to clean....

Eels "Wonderful, Glorious" sides 3 & 4.
Up now...... "Mystery To Me"

Penguin sounded great. The vinyl quality is great but it was warped.

Into the Orb!, I say.
I think I’m safe in saying the recording quality is stepped up a notch with "MTM".

This lp is warped as well.

I love this record!
Divin' in.................

Fleetwood Mac "1973 to 1974" box/re-mastered from the original analog tapes @ Abbey Road

Up now "Penguin"
Up now, the last lp from this box...

"Live From The Record Plant (Dec 15 1974)

Seems like a great set list.................
uber,

I reread the review and recall him not knowing the difference either. Don’t quote me on that. There’s no markings on the cartridge body saying MkII. The Shelter had always been highly rated in the mags, always wanted to try one. Got a DEAL so we will see. From what the dealer said it came from an estate with almost no hours, so I'm expecting break-in time. (Weinhart Designs) You gotta trust someone, sometime.
Haley Bonar "Big Star". Hasn't been through my latest cleaning regemin but still a great sounding record!
@bkeske,

Once I get my Rock 7 up and running well, gonna send the Sussurro to SS then mount my Zephyr MIMC* ES on the VPI.
10cc "The Original Soundtrack"  pp
@spiritofradio,

How's the system sounding these days?
Finishing up SRV "Couldn’t Stand the Weather" PurePleasure

Getting reacquainted with my Rock 7 after almost 2 years. Started familiarizing myself with the leveling process again, which ain’t too easy... it involves several things working in conjunction with each other. Got my re-wired arm on. Probably put the Shelter 501 MkII when that step comes. But for now, some SRV.

Played two sides before I realized my subs were in stand-by.
Gonna try a (MyMat sandwich) this weekend. A 5mm, Funk Firm Achromat in the middle.
@bkeske,

I have an Ortofon Cadenza mono..... last time I mounted it, I got a little distortion. Realized later I didn't take into account the slight/off STP distance my VPI still has. Need to re-try.
Death Cab for Cutie "Thank You for Today"  just had it's first US clean