Allman Brothers - "Allman Joys" "Idyllwild South"
Santana - "Santana" 200 g reissue
Emerson Lake and Palmer - "Emerson Lake and Palmer"
and,
Beethoven - "Piano Concerto No. 4 in G Major" Rudolph Serkin/Ozawa/BSO
slipknot1

Showing 50 responses by slaw

@tomic601 ,

Had to put my (golden) down a few years ago. Took me a few weeks to get over it. I really never realized how much he meant to me. His name was Buddy. 
Got the records in I ordered off Etsy, they look in very good condition.

The Rubinoos "S/T"  advertised as 1st pressing
Norman Greenbaum "Back Home Again"  WLP
Stephen Stills "2" pp
Neil Diamond "Taproot Manuscript"  pp
Patti Page "I've Heard That Song Before"  mono/pp

@noromance, 

The PP lp I bought because you had mentioned her recently. This is a mono period pressing and very clean.
Dealing with vinyl is a love/hate relationship. I happen to love it more.
Jim,

Maybe it's just me but Ray reminds me of Joe Cocker in his vocals at times. That's a compliment.
The problem with box sets is they will not replace a defective lp. You have to return the entire box. SAD!
Uber,

Can’t speak to his PCs. Only to what I have.

My Taipan Helix recommendation I believe is solid! For a more inexpensive PC....I replaced my Python Helix (1k) with a Signal Cable (silver) $169.00 and it was superior. If you ask, they’ll put a 20 amp IEC on it.

Having said this, I'm a huge fan of the Marc Tunis iCs, ( with KLE RCAs). Haven't tried his PCs but, they would be on my list.
@mammothguy54,

Doing a distilled water rinse is recommended. Air drying is better. I use my VPI for expediency buy would prefer a second VinlylStack just for this purpose.

Have you looked into DIY? It's what I use and have had experience with my Audio Desk. The DIY is a better solution and less expensive. If you add a pump and filter system it takes up more room but is a nice upgrade for little money.
Oh Mercy has always been a personal favorite. Since I already own two copies, the original domestic and Simply Vinyl, ( never heard any difference) I had decided to pass on the MFSL but am now having second thoughts.
My mini-review. Lp-1 - Butterfield Blues Band @ Woodstock

The vinyl is high quality/quiet, just like all ROG lps are. What is unexpected is both lps are slightly off-center.

I set my expectations low for this record because of the less than desirable circumstances. So far, I’m very satisfied.

"Born Under a Bad Sign" takes up the entire side 1, except for a few announcements. The harmonica sounds clear and satisfying in the beginning of this song. Then the brass chimes in right in the center stage as well. The bass guitar is there too and not mic’d well. The organ is in left field as is the lead guitar when it starts in. After a few minutes though, things change somewhat. The brass goes more to the right. This makes things much better. I’m feeling very good about this purchase now. You got to turn this record up! Sounds really good that way. The grounding issue they had then shows up only in the quieter passages and isn’t a big deal for me. I guess Eddie Kramer did the best he could under less than perfect conditions.

LP 2 in a bit............
Butterfield Blues Band "Live @ Woodstock"  ROG/entire set recorded Aug.18 1969/ 6 am to 7:10 am
I should say, you can get the MT ICs with the KLE RCAs. I chose to do it my way for personal information.
So far the MFSL/45 is more tuneful and provides more (meat on the bones). Same volume.

I will say, to achieve this level of performance with this lp, one needs to have a high level) system.
Jim,

As you know, I sent them to Tim @ maze-audio. I had contacted him a few weeks ago with my needs and requested he contact me when he could do a quick turn-around.

They arrived today. Perfect!

The sound, well in a few words, everything is more well rounded/flushed out and more dynamic/extended.

The Mark Tunis ICs came with locking RCAs which I hate as they are a pain.

I"ll say his ICs with the KLE Absolute Harmony’s are a sleeper in the crazy world of high priced ICs.

I’ve read the KLE need break-in time. I’ll enjoy every minute of it.

Full disclosure:
I’m using my Deleund phono cable at the moment, which I love. I did have Tim modify my M Tunis phono cable with the KLE RCAs

@boxer12,  Eels "Blinking Lights and Other Revelations" box set included "With Strings"

Some lp that came in over the week,

Crooker Still "Shaken By a Low Sound" deluxe edition/2021

Calexico "Descamino" 2000/Quarterstick Records 

Art Blakey $ the Jazz Messengers "Moanin'"  2021/.Blue Note 

PJ Harvey "White Chalk" "Dry" "Is This Desire"

Listening will have to wait a while.

Merry Christmas to all!

@noromance ,

Hi! I bought a Hot Stamper of 4 Way years ago. The last RSD, I got the 3lp complete set re-mastered and it blew away the Hot Stamper. I believe it's still available at www.rhino.com

@bkeske,

The cassette WAS the version I wore out at the time.

Thanks for the response.
Shovels & Rope ""Little Seeds""

This lp’s SQ isn’t an honest representation of the best SQ.

I’ve seen them live.

I'd  rate the SQ as an 8
Montrose "S/T" Friday Music

When I was buying lps decades ago, I knew nothing about first pressings and so on....... my only other copy of this lp is a re-issue I’m sure, because it doesn’t have the ’palm tree’ label. Having said that, this Friday Music release is the bomb! This record does have meaningful bass info afterall. One of The Best hard rock debuts, all time.
Ronnie Montrose (RIP) "The Speed of Sound" op

Many may not remember but he even played on "Tupelo Honey", just to mention one. The Edgar Winter Group, to mention two.

Turn it up!
Carly Simon "No Secrets" WLP

Fun fact....She and James once lived in the ’murder house’ made famous by OJ.

You need this copy!

On "You’re So Vein", a rare appearance of Mick Jagger as a backup singer!

Carly really had a low register!
Wow! Tom Petty "Long After Dark". Listened to this lp over and over back in the day. No one mentions it now. From the box set.............

Not Audiophile quality but enjoyable.