Allman Brothers - "Allman Joys" "Idyllwild South"
Santana - "Santana" 200 g reissue
Emerson Lake and Palmer - "Emerson Lake and Palmer"
and,
Beethoven - "Piano Concerto No. 4 in G Major" Rudolph Serkin/Ozawa/BSO
slipknot1

Showing 50 responses by slaw

Is that one a recent re-issue?

I’m currently bidding for a sealed John Prine "Oh Boy".... Will be paying out the a__ for it but I’m treating myself.
Decided to compare the two Teskey Brothers lps, back to back today, so, here goes.....gonna put on "Run Home Slow" first.
Just finished "Run Home Slow"

I’m using the same volume level on both lps...@10 o’clock, enough gain to be dynamic yet not so much as to be intrusive.

(BTW: this is the first time I’ve listened with two MyMats. Some may be saying that I’m just self-promoting, well I guess technically it’s true but the fact is, I’d be just as "high" on this product if it wasn’t my baby.)

With a critical ear, there seems to be some slight muddiness, without interfering with overall enjoyment, and yes, I found myself more involved that on past listens.

Up next "Half Mile Harvest"....just cued it up, immediately there was the highly noticeable leading edge of musical instruments struck with a greater transient response.....

Just noticed that "HMH" needs flattening as well.
last lp until Friday...The Commitments (soundtrack) MOV

"may we all find a better frame of mind within the music we hear"
The Teskey's lead singer sounds familiar, similar to the Commiment's singer. Both are great talents!
The end result is fairly easy for me.... "HMH" is the superior recording in terms of SQ. I really enjoy both. Regarding content, I think there's a strong argument for the willingness of the band to try different things on "HMH" as well that make it their gold standard.

Peace!
FWIW, My Funk Firm FXR, a highly modified Rega, is a solid arm.

If you have time, look up the Stereophile review of my exact set-up. Rock 7/Funk Firm FXR. The reviewer says, " sounds like no tonearm at all."
Hey uber,

Both have many hours but one has a missing stylus the other has a missing cantilever. Nobody will be able to rebuild as new. Dynavector doesn't even do it.
@elliotnewcombjr,

I checked out a few of the songs on the Fontella Bass lp. Very cool! Thanks for sharing.
@spiritofradio,

That's good to hear about Caroline. From listening to her music, I would have expected that.
FYI...Gary Moore "Live From London" from 2009, is out now on vinyl from Mascot Label Group!
It's been a while since I heard "90125", I remembered it being bright. Not in my current system configuration. Very enjoyable.
I'm really liking "Modern Times".....for me, with Dylan, it's so hard to pin him down regarding his ever-changing vocal styles. To me, this is  especially evident on this record.
...but it sounds so gooood......!
Jim Lauderdale "Time Flies"  what a great record!

BTW, I have a sealed copy of Jim Lauderdale "From Another World" for the taking. If anyone would love to call it home?
Ran across a sealed Neil Young "Hawks & Doves" (promo), so I scooped it up. Up next.

I guess a promo is as close as one can get to an OP?
sides 1 & 2 of "Modern Times" again....had to get an annoying slight warp out.
boxer,

On a couple of tunes on this lp, he changes his styling within one or two lines!
Yes "90125"
@6t5-gto,

My brother, you are a hard one to pin down...
Montrose "S/T"  Friday Music./ Wow, they did a great job here!
Lucinda Williams "World Without Tears" Lost Highway/ gold stamped promo/sounds fantastic!

Shhhhh!
John Prine "Live"  PP/Oh Boy Records

Won this sealed copy in an auction last week.
@uberwaltz,

I had read that the German lp of "Yoshimi....." is THE copy to have. I ran across a M copy last year and scooped it up. It does sound wonderful!