Allman Brothers - "Allman Joys" "Idyllwild South"
Santana - "Santana" 200 g reissue
Emerson Lake and Palmer - "Emerson Lake and Palmer"
and,
Beethoven - "Piano Concerto No. 4 in G Major" Rudolph Serkin/Ozawa/BSO
slipknot1

Showing 50 responses by slaw

@boxer12,

"Who would I compare Federale to"? That’s a tough one. Right now I have a hard time thinking of anyone. It’s at the top of my 2019 favorites though.

I saw Purple Mountains lp on Amazon for $29.95. If I remember correctly, I bought mine direct from www.dragcity.com for $22.00 shipping included. (Just took a look and it's already out of stock there)
@spiritofradio,

Thanks for your post my friend.
Alejandro Escovedo "Big Station" saw him several months back. He’s such an authentic artist/person, I highly recommend to anyone that they check him out in person.

He actually has a big North Carolina connection. He is on the Yep Roc label near Chapel Hill and has recorded several times at Chris Stamey's studio in Kernersville.  The last song of his encore, was his tribute to David Bowie "All The Young Dudes" where he brought out Chris to play along.
Neil Diamond "Hot August Night" MFSL

( interesting story about how I obtained it, and the lp's history, but I digress)
(Been thinking about a Federale band comparison. Not to cause any upheaval but, to me, The National’s music mostly comes from a dark place. I just don’t make that connection. IMO.)
Spirit,

Yeah, I realized that and later corrected my mistake.

Thanks buddy.

( I'm starting to realize how much "re-examining" takes place as the aging process kicks in)
Spirit, that.s cool!

I should have also said, you must be aging better than me, as that kind of thing has been going on for years with me. Ha ha ha.
From the Hot August Nights set..."Porcupine Pie"...I don't know why, but listening to Neil sing it, I'm cool with it! This may be a perfect example of what separates us normal people from great artists? For me, if I were to just read those lyrics, I'd never be able to put them into a song I could sing! Think about it folks!
@big-greg,

OK, your big order of the 45rpm Dire Straites arrived yesterday?... and no more comments???? I’m not getting a good feeling?
Tanita Tikaram "Closer to the People" e.a.r@music Germany

If you can find it.GET IT!
You damn right it’s cool! ...brother

If you can find a M copy for $100.00, that's an easy buy, IMO.
You people that didn't GET IT then, well I wonder what happened in the last 40 years. The music stays.
Kansas "Leftoverture" Friday Music

So, I’ve read recently from others’ posts regarding seeing Kansas recently. That they found them to be "MUSICIANS"!

I’m thankful that I already knew that. In the late ’70s they were my GO-TO group, I think most if not all were classically trained. Saw them twice at that time. I can still picture Steve Walsh singing in his shiny short shorts while the spotlight was on Livgreen.

I find it fascinating that 45 years later, some are now hearing their greatness!
Wow, miss two days and am far behind! 

@reubent ,

I always had an interest in the Reference speaker line-up, although never had  a chance to hear them. Hope you enjoy them. What happened to the Vandersteens?

@bgross,

Love Ray & Jason as well!
@spiritofradio 

I grew up listening to all of those Christmas lps….Firestone, Columbia Special Products etc.... on our console stereo with it's own tube amplifier.   Good memories!

@ctwith3 ,

Welcome! Which tt did you acquire?

The Frames "Fitzcarraldo"
Rosanne Cash "She Remembers Everything"
So much for best laid plans. This was gonna be a longer than usual listening weekend. Came down with pneumonia + flu. 

Carry on brothers!
@730waters,

I'm learning a lot from your posts....since I've been sick I've taken more time to audition some things. I will look for "Road". Interestingly, I just found a sealed OP of Fat Matress. 
Before listening to "The Delta Sweete" one must be aware of the history behind it to appreciate it fully. Any serious music devote will find this lp to be a piece of high art in the world of music. Wonderful!
@730waters,

On your point above regarding Van Halen. I’m pretty sure I get where you’re coming from.....although, I’d disagree on VH 1st lp...which is, IMO, one of the best pure rock debuts of all time.
("S/T" & "Mean Street" are the original line-up's best lps, IMO)

The Sammy Hagar years...I’ve always enjoyed, yet I never owned them. but Sammy IS one of THE great rock singers and his performances when he fronted VH where great!

As for Gary Moore, his last lp, a live lp is coming out soon.
The Beatles "MMT" from the mono box

I was gonna write some new fascinating, insightful discoveries about this lp but, in the end, I cannot. I always really liked a lot of the songs but there was never any sense of cohesiveness, taking the lp as a whole. Then I remembered the title....Magical Mystery Tour. Now I wonder why I spent so much time thinking about it?
Drive-By Truckers "American Band"

IMO, when we start talking about Judas Priest, etc.. that changes to more of a (metal) category as well that should be considered. Not sure about any distinction you are trying to make between VH. JP, and so on regarding, "Feel Good Music"
OK, spirit/waters....I'm kind of gettin' it now. Except for "Mean Street" errrh. I've meant to say "Fair Warning".  How does one account for that?

I've been referring to the VH lp.."Fair Warning" as "Mean Street", which is a song on "Fair Warning". I apologize!