What the Best Dac have you heard or owned. How could you tell it was that good.

I wondered what’s the best sounding dac you have heard or owned. What did it do that the others didn’t. 

calvinj

This comment isn’t directed at anyone in particular, but the goal of obtaining giant killer aka "unicorn" gear (DACs especially) has been IME a fool’s errand that’s cost me money and time better spent on just buying the very best gear I can afford and which makes sense in the context of my system’s $ level. I do believe that one doesn’t need to spend a ton to put together a good-sounding system, but for example a $20K DAC is underwhelming in a $20K system, whereas it can be a jaw dropper replacing a $7K DAC in a $70K system. A $500 negligee is money well spent if your lady is Sophie Vergara.

@kairosman i can see your point. I think I got used to hearing really good high end gear. So for some a 35k dac is a no go. But I have a 90k system. I have spent years building it up to this point.  If you are musically happy it’s worth it. 

@tcutter 

Thanks. It's probably the single best value along with highest SQ addition that I have purchased for my system. A truly amazing piece.

I use the AudioQuest Cobalt Dragonfly with my laptop. It's really amazing! I'm also running an AudioQuest cable with it to the preamp.