What the Best Dac have you heard or owned. How could you tell it was that good.

I wondered what’s the best sounding dac you have heard or owned. What did it do that the others didn’t. 

calvinj

Hello, I'm new to digital. I've been listening to Lps & FM stations for the last 50 years. I recently purchased an Onkyo RZ-50 for my 5.1.2 system. The RZ-50 allows me to stream via bluetooth. I just joined TIDAL & use the phone app to control my music. I first connected the Onkyo to my analog system via RCA's 2nd zone, which was less than stellar, but tweaking a little here & there, I got it to sound pretty good. Then I decided to switch the connections to my OPPO 203 back to my tube preamp & the SQ of the OPPO took me closer to the real thing that as missing from the Onkyo. I can only imagine how a real DAC would sound with my setup. I can now listen to albums before I decide to purchase them.

I own a Bricasti M1 with MDX processor. I’ve heard many DACs and I thought many sounded good for digital. When I heard the M1, my impression was that it sounded good- no “for digital” qualifier 

Case closed 

This comment isn’t directed at anyone in particular, but the goal of obtaining giant killer aka "unicorn" gear (DACs especially) has been IME a fool’s errand that’s cost me money and time better spent on just buying the very best gear I can afford and which makes sense in the context of my system’s $ level. I do believe that one doesn’t need to spend a ton to put together a good-sounding system, but for example a $20K DAC is underwhelming in a $20K system, whereas it can be a jaw dropper replacing a $7K DAC in a $70K system. A $500 negligee is money well spent if your lady is Sophie Vergara.