What Power Cords for Rel S510 Subs?

I’m considering a pair of Rel S510s to go with my Diablo 300 and B&W 802 D2’s. I’ve invested quite a bit in cabling: Audioquest Dragon for my amp, Hurricanes for my source equipment, and Nordost Valhalla 2 for my speaker wire. I can clearly hear the difference between a Hurricane and a Dragon cord when powering my amp. The Dragon puts space and air around vocals and instruments with front to back depth.

There is no way I can afford anything better than two 3m Hurricanes for the Rel S510’s but my question is, how much do power cords matter for subs? Sadly for my wallet, I’ve found that higher grade cords do make a considerable difference for all my other components, verified through blind tests. Not as much as speaker cables, but still a big difference.

I also have a Innuos network isolation switch and also an Innuos USB reclocker, to support my Innuos Zenith Mk 3 streamer.

Does power cord quality matter less with subs than with everything else?

For the record I’ve seen other threads on this subject, with what seems to be consensus that power cords don’t matter with subs, but I was hoping others who, like me, appreciate the difference a top tier power cord can make, can comment on whether there truly is no benefit to using one when it comes to subs. Has anyone compared a Hurricane grade (or better) cord with a stock cord, connected to a high end sub?

nyev

Showing 4 responses by retiredfarmer

Well an older mid priced one at the time that was exceptional  on bass and in my opinion  messed up the midrange  was a cards cross the black jacketed one. Lol you are going to have to look for a prehistoric  one. This would be from. The early days of power cords. It made bass and lots of it that was tuneful.  Had it on the bass amp in an actively  blamed moon Maggie setup. Sold it to a home theatre  guy for hos sub. He disliked cards until he herd  that on his sub. Personally  I doubt you would have to pay a hundred  for it. 

First  off I don't run subs on two channel  and I don't have  that  hi dollar home theatre  setup ok but bot truly high end keep that in mind about the following  comments. 

On the cheap sub in my tv/ home theatre  I had some free pos on the sub for the interconnect.  I wired a actinote  powercord  into the powered amp. On that cord I put a connex  plug onto it. I got a 10 foot dhlabs  subsonic  interconnect to run the the sub (biggest difference) I ended up with much deeper bass at a righer volume  and tuneful bass not car audio bass. So basically  my opinion  it is more than worth it to go on the hunt  for a  powercord. I generally  think that the bottom wire in most lines is a big improvement  the mid wire is lots better in some areas and not good top to bottom.  And the high end of the lines are where I generally look for two channel.  But that being  said finding the right midrange  cord that stresses bass might be your way to get what you want for less. Now on to something  I did on my two channel  setup or the one pf them. I have a set of levinson  33h amps  down there I felt I was bass shy by abunch. Parts connection  had a sale on single outlet furutech  rhodium  receptacle s I bought a pair installed them on each of the dedicated  20 amp circuit s that power the amps. Wow did that ever change the base for they better.lol the slippery slope. I did the other receptacle s in the room one at a time and tried  different  ones ended up with the top of the line furutech  rhodium  receptacle s through  all but one receptacle.  I installed  the top of the line furutech  rhodium  plugs on the captive  cords on the amps there again deeper better  base. Anyhow  that might be a thought for you as well is a receptacle  change. 

.  Reminds me of a story I was telling about my farm saying it took four hours to drive from one end of it to the other a blowhard told me it took him three days to drive from one end of his farm to the other. I told him 50 years ago we had a gto as well.

@1971gto455ho  lol remember  who started the 

Derogatory  comments if you cannot  stand the heat stay out of the kitchen buddy. I might be impressed  if you have an lm or a swb. 

Regards