What next?

I have restored a Marantz PM94 and have recently purchased a pair of Von Schweikert VR4.5 speakers, am using Apple Music through my iPhone. What would be recommended to improve the sounds? Also have a restored Sansui 9090DB with stacked Advent speakers. Just read on the forum about the value of preamps and wondering if I should be looking at a tube preamp to add to my systems? Am retired so not looking to spend big bucks. Thanks in advance for suggestions.

daveoman

You are so far getting fantastic advice…. ditch Apple music as fast as possible…

Node X is kind of spendy, if you don't need the added features, pick up a used Node 2i

I have restored a Marantz PM94 and have recently purchased a pair of Von Schweikert VR4.5 speakers, am using Apple Music through my iPhone. What would be recommended to improve the sounds? Also have a restored Sansui 9090DB with stacked Advent speakers. Just read on the forum about the value of preamps and wondering if I should be looking at a tube preamp to add to my systems? Am retired so not looking to spend big bucks. Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Your marantz is a integrated amp and already came with a preamp.

To make the sound better, you can get an affordable full function streamer+DAC like the Wiim pro plus for 200 bucks.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_399WIIMPPL/WiiM-Pro-Plus.html

If you are operating on a restricted wallet, look at the "Cheap Audio Man" YT channel. The guy generally talks about affordable/ relatively higher value gear.