What is Your Opinion of Atmos Music?

Most members here have "stereos" for music and "home theater" for movies. Atmos music takes the immersive format that started with movies and uses it for music. It seems Dolby has a series of interviews/tutorials with recording engineers and that is picking up momentum. Personally I listen to immersive music (atmos and surround sound) about 80% of the time and the other 20% I listen to two channel on my desktop system. What is your experience with either Atmos music/spatial audio or using any of the various upmixers (auro-3d, dolby surround, etc) for immersive music listening?

kota1

@amir_asr , if you are happy with your mic, your laptop and your dry wall, fine with me. It is a waste of speakers IMO, but it is your money, spend it how you wish.

In this thread you can see videos of interviews with Abbey Road Studios, Giles Martin, Brian Eno, Steve Wilson, just to name a few who enjoy/prefer immersive audio.

You know Toole grooves on Auro 3D, are you aware of the work Tomlinson Holman (THX founder) did on MCH listening when he developed Audyssey DSX. Another fan of immersive audio. So here you have rock stars, audio superstars like Toole, and Holman and the list is getting longer every day. It is inappropriate that a guy reviewing MCH receivers doesn’t even have a proper room (that I know of). You got the other thread to help you with your build. If you need help feel free to post, NP.

BTW, look at the pic above of Abbey Road Studios, then Toole’s setup and then my own. All of our systems have MLP equidistant from front and rears, book shelfs as height channels mounted high on the wall angled down at the MLP. We ALL use a VOG channel, a center height channel, and matched speakers (Abbey Road and I use active, Toole uses passive). This is a good blueprint to follow for your build (except placing subs in the ceiling like Abbey Road Studios, LOL)

7X Grammy winning recording engineer Luis Barrera Jr. prefers Dolby Atmos music over two channel because the artists and producers he works with go wild for it:

PMC chief technical officer Oliver Thomas:

"Imagine listening to an orchestra from the position where the conductor stands, Atmos allows you to do that."

"Some artists are now composing music NOT through stereo speakers, buy through a Dolby Atmos system"