What is your most fond musical memory.

One that makes you yearn for the ‘good old days.’

Mine took place in 1970. My grandparents were going on a world tour and I had their whole house to myself for 2 months. Alone at last!. I was 16. First thing I did was set up my audio system. Then I turned down the lights and put on the just released Grand Funk “Closer to Home’ album. I thought I was in heaven when ‘I’m your Captain’ came on. 10 minutes of Pure Bliss. To this day I get the tingles whenever I play that song.

128x1281111art

Two, both at Armadillo World Headquarters in Austin -

Van Morrison (the R&B Van, not the Celtic mystic Van)

Little Feat with unannounced appearance by Linda Ronstadt

Oh yes, 17 years old. My dad was a true Audiophile and had a sweet Mac system with k-horns. (I still have them). Splurged and bought Dark Side of the Moon on reel-to-reel tape. I invited my girlfriend over to listen with me on a Friday night when we had the house to ourselves. Started off with a Led Zepplin album and a few beers. Put on the PF reel to reel and ended up having the greatest night of my life.

Ended up marrying that girl. The funny thing is I get a little excited every time I listen to Pink Floyd and she doesn't like them.  

My best friend told me she once (in New Jersey) went to sort of battle of the bands in a high school auditorium. Don't know the year. She was leaning on the stage watching among other bands, Black Sabbath before their first album came out.

Do I dare tell my most fond musical memory. Nah, y’all wouldn’t believe me anyway. 

This would have to be Vladimir Horowitz. Chicago, 198...5, 6?

I can't remember the reason I would be in Chicago at that time.  Was not just for his concert.  Chicago Consumer Electronics Show is summer.  Why would I be there in the fall?