What is the current retail cost of your reference system?

It would be interesting to share this as I am not sure some of us understand how decisions are made within the framework of cost and resolution. Please avoid used prices as that muddys the water significantly. Also cabling costs would be revealing as well if willing to share. 

jpwarren58

My wife and I moved into our second house many years ago.  After two corporate moves we had done very well.  I was very proud of our beautiful 2800 sqft home in a beautiful neighborhood.  My parents came over for a visit and were appalled when they saw our new home.  They said no one needs a house this big.  I grew up in a small farm house with one wood and one gas stove for heat.  My parents drove older cars.  My dad had a good paying job.  It was their choice to live frugally and be self sufficient, as did most of their family- my grandparents, aunts and uncles.  None of them were poor but were hardworking and actually spent money on their hobbies.  Still, a car or an appliance was not discarded until there was no chance of reviving it.  I chose differently.  Still, my upbringing certainly tempered my choices with regards to luxury and ostentatiousness.  I could potentially sink twice what I have in my stereo system but for my internal limitations.  On the other hand, I celebrate what others have achieved in terms of sound quality with their ultra systems.  We all need the trickle down technology that starts with costs only the rich can afford.

And one other thing- good quality sound is much more affordable these days compared to the audio hobby of the 1960s.  I remember my dad bringing home a Philco 25” Color TV in 1968.  Cost for that TV today would be $6000.  Seeing Star Trek on that TV in 1968 was amazing.

Point is, why do we judge people for the amount of money they spend on their hobby?  If the kids are going hungry and without shoes then that is a different matter.

Having a conscious here is not about guilt, its about being mindful that most of us here live privileged lives. Keeping mindful of that tends to make one more humble, empathic and happy, one not always comparing themselves to those who have it better. 

Still, in general I'd say most audiophiles not into pissing contests, I'm also into cars and motorcycles, car enthusiasts boasting about HP is the worst, I see many absolutely destroying cars to get another 10-15hp, complete nitwits. At least a $10k cable doesn't destroy one's system.

30k,

half of that is the Devialet 250 EP, which replaced a complex Naim stack put together over many years.

The rest on speakers, 1 sub, CD player, cables and computer related audio gear...

+

Double that figure on music (first records) and then CDs, and now downloads, over 30+ yrs.

I wouldn't focus on a $ amount. You'll just get frustrated as you see people spend a small fortune. You should set a budget and then proportion it out % wise, with a majority spent on speakers. I will say that I've seen people spending $50-$100K on a system that sounds like crap due to improper pairing or horrible room acoustics. I have a system that I spent less than $10K (Dynaudio, Rotel, Sota) and it sounds great, but I was meticulous about placement, etc.