What exactly is colored sound?

I guess the definition would be a deviation from what what was originally intended but how do we really know what was originally intended anyway?  I mean solid state mostly sounds like solid state.  I guess that would be a coloration, push pull amps and set have their own colorations.  It seems we try to denote certain definitions to either promote or dis certain sounds I guess.  We could have a supposedly neutral amp but their just is not enough bass so we turn up the subwoofer or the bass, a coloration per se.  I guess one could say that colored sound would be a good thing.  after all, each instrument has its own sound (color).  A mullard, a telefunken, I mean who knows what tubes were in the recording studios at the time of the recording.  Syrupy, sweet, rich, NEUTRAL, forward, backward I mean really...  I guess its all about certain preferences for each person.  even in the studio.  who knows, maybe a recording may be meant to sound syrupy or sweet and then we try to make it as neutral as possible.  Maybe thats a coloration in itself.  I guess what I am asking is why do reviewers use the word colored in reviews anyway?
tzh21y
Colorations occur due to:

1) the room in which playback occurs
2) frequency response errors which all loudspeakers have
3) incorrect interactions between amp and speaker which cause frequency response errors
4) distortion, which is found in all things electronic

It turns out that the ear is less sensitive to certain colorations and a lot more sensitive to others. For example the ear is not particularly sensitive to the 2nd harmonic (which is responsible for the coloration of 'warmth', often found in tube equipment) but is extremely sensitive (moreso than most test equipment) to the 7th (which is part of what causes harshness and a metallic quality and is why solid state has the coloration of 'bright' and 'hard' and the like).

Frequency response errors are also obvious colorations with multiple causes!

But its much more complex than that- the ear has tipping points where it will favor distortion over actual FR errors. Brightness in solid state is one example of that.

Digital and analog recording processes both have colorations associated with distortion and bandwidth, although in the digital world, the word 'aliasing' is used because digital guys don't like to admit that digital makes distortion (my 2 cents on that....).

Microphones also have colorations- as a recording engineer, I love my Neumann U67s which turn out fantastic results, but I'll be the first to concede that they aren't perfect by any means!

@tzh21y with so many sources and causes, it might be helpful to put this in a context as the topic is a bit broad. Did you have a specific area of interest?
One of the early Stereophile test CDs (the first one maybe) has a recording of J. Gordon Holt reading something with different mics swapped in every sentence or so. A great demonstration that should be heard by anybody wondering about recording coloration as it clearly and simply cuts to the chase. Flat SCHMLAT!
My best would be Muddy Waters. Extremely fine guitarist, best blues vocals, crazy womanizer. 
Again, before the recording itself there are microphones that cannot 'hear' as well as the ear. It goes from there. We should try to recreate in our listening rooms what ear would have heard not what microphones 'heard'. Of course, it's impossible. The closer the better.
One or maybe main reason why some hi-end systems don't really sound good - too far.  They can sound impressively but that's not how it sounds in reality.