What Does It Take To Surpass A SME V?

Thinking about the possibility of searching for a new tonearm. The table is a SOTA Cosmos Eclipse. Cartridge currently in use is a Transfiguration Audio Proteus, and it also looks like I will also have an Ortofon Verismo if a diamond replacement occurs without incident. 

The V is an early generation one but in good condition with no issues. Some folks never thought highly of the arm, others thought it quite capable. So it's a bit decisive. 

The replacement has to be 9 to 10.5 inches. I have wondered if Origin Live is worth exploring? Perhaps a generation old Triplanar from the pre owned market?

Any thoughts on what are viable choices? 

neonknight

@lewm , I guess my ears are not as good as yours. Yes, you are wrong again. Zenith is critically important. It is vital for phase coherence and syncopation not to mention constipation. May I suggest a jar of Citrucel?

@albertporter , You are for more experienced than myself and lewm put together however, I would like to point out the speed variability of even a mediocre modern turntable is far superior to that achieved by your typical somewhat less than flat and concentric record. You will have to look elsewhere for pitch consistency besides drive type. 

@lewm , It means that the stylus is perfectly vertical as seen from the front and has the correct 92 degree SRA when loaded at the recommended tracking force. 

@albertporter , You are for more experienced than myself and lewm put together however, I would like to point out the speed variability of even a mediocre modern turntable is far superior to that achieved by your typical somewhat less than flat and concentric record. You will have to look elsewhere for pitch consistency besides drive type.“

Even considering the factors you mention, if two or three turntables are set up and the same LP used in testing, results were as I described and quite audible.  In fact after equating the less desirable sound with what the laser displayed it made it obvious which error was causing which problem.

For instance, slurred bass or bass that momentarily seemed to be deep but lacked definition was due to micro slowing of the LP due to error in drive system.   A couple of the most expensive turntables had serious speed problems, playing demanding LP such as Massive Attack with huge bass lines caused the laser to dance with the music.

Put the same LP on a table with superior drive system and speed accuracy and the bass error was solved.   It helps to be able to see and hear what causes what. 

It’s impossible to have a library with 100% perfect LPs, but if you can put together a turntable that does not add to that issue you are far better off.

Mijostyn, I’m used to Raul misinterpreting my English. After all, it’s his second language. But what I said or certainly meant to convey is that zenith IS CRITICALLY IMPORTANT. Problem is that what we’re talking about is not strictly defined by the term “zenith”. Zenith, defined as the relationship of the long axis of the stylus tip to the groove, is very very important. The two companies that make all the cantilevers in the world have a +/-5% tolerance for mounting styli on them. A5% error in zenith is not good enough to get the most out of the cartridge. We have no argument about the importance of zenith for lowest distortion.

Citrucel? Nah, we need big guns here.

I used to like the apocryphal advert with the slogan "If the bottom falls out of your world, take Dulcolax and let the world fall out of your bottom."