What are we going to do about Tele 12AU7 prices

so the prices are ridiculous,,none of us can afford these prices..so what AU's are we going to substitue foe Teles.
And dont say RCA;'s, I  dont like   RCA's and  Philips Miniwatts were ok, nothing great. 
I need something close to Tele. but at 1/5th the price.
mozartfan

Showing 3 responses by bob540

It comes down to priorities and what one is willing to spend.  I would have to mull over whether to spend $120.00 on a single tube; others would not hesitate.  The OP is one who thinks that is excessive, and I agree with him.  This is one reason I hesitated before purchasing any tube equipment — the cost of rolling/replacing tubes.  

Some members here suggest the necessity of breaking the bank . . if you are really an audiophile, if you really care about quality sound, then of course you buy into whatever others say you need to do, either to pay or “why bother?”

I would prefer to think that a lot of people other than myself don’t have riches to invest in a hobby and that there are other worthwhile things in life that deserve our time, attention and money.  We have to balance the value of each aspect and allot our money accordingly.  I spent 37 years as a lowly social worker — my choice — and now live on a fixed income that is comfortable but certainly not lavish.  I applaud those who followed more lucrative career paths and now have ten’s of thousands of dollars to spend on a hobby.  I enjoy reading about such people’s exploits, but it’s not me, and I think I still belong.
@ghasley, This brings up a question I had previously regarding accessories provided by equipment manufacturers.  I would think that an audio equipment manufacturer would pair their equipment with tubes or power cords that sound great with that equipment . . that they know their equipment better than anyone and sample different accessory items to come up with what they think sounds best.  

Schist obviously thinks this way, as in the brochure that comes with the Freya+, they recommend using the plain power cord they supply, as it doesn’t make sense to them that a fancy power cord is going to make a difference when they consider all the contractor-grade wire supplying power in the walls of your house (of course, I swapped in a fancy power cord, just in case!)

So, wouldn’t the tubes provided with the equipment be ones that the manufacturer thinks are pretty good? For the relatively low cost of the Freya+, they could include other, more costly tubes and charge a few hundreds bucks extra, and people would pay that.  Right?