What amp are you using with your Gallo 3.1's?

I bought a pair of Gallo 3.1's in September. I am currently using a Response Audio Platinum modified Jolida 502b with KT88/98 tubes, 60 watts per channel. Input tubes are vintage Tungsol and Valvo. I am, for the most part (audionervosa) satisfied with the sound. Timing, rythm, and pace is good, the sound is happy, toe tapping fun. Very musical. I had a Mcintosh 6900 for a cpl of months 200 watts with autoformers. I was dissapointed that there seemed to be no synergy with these two components. The sound was rolled off, flat, and lifeless in my system, in my house. YMMV

I am just curious what other Gallo owners have tried, what worked well, what didn't, and what you are using now.
leatherneck1812
I have now been using a Wyred 4 Sound ST1000 and a Cary slp98 preamp with my Gallos for almost 2 months. I feel I can comment on this combination now having let everything settle in for a while.

This is probably as neutral and detailed as my system has ever been while not becoming sterile, boring, or harsh in the process. There is excellent balance throughout the musical spectrum. Prodigious bass, excellent midrange and the sweetest highs without a hint of glare or fatigue. The touch of sunkist sweetness is thanks to a pair of RCA Red Base Military 5692 tubes in the Cary. These tubes took this system from very, very, good to just wonderful.

Soundstage is very balanced with pinpoint imaging of instruments and vocals. Soft music passages are relaxed and richly detailed, when the pace picks up the explosiveness and incredible speed can be startling!

MAPMAN You were correct that the high current would be most noticable at low volumes! I have never enjoyed music played at such low volume. All of the detail, prat and balanced musicality is right there even at very low volumes.

This is a very satisfying and incredibly musical system. Just a joy to listen to!

I have a Clayton S40 Class A 50 watt amp coming in a week to compare to the Wyred 4 Sound. I will post the results in a couple of weeks.
Nice to hear things are working out well with the Gallos and the ST1000.

Definitely interested to hear about what you hear with the Class A in comparison as well.

Keep us posted!
This is off-topic, but I just bought the Mapleshade upgraded stands for my Ref 3s and they are awesome. Four-inch thick maple platforms with brass "Megafeet" underneath and a more pronounced tilt than you get with the stock stands. A friend who also has these speakers brought one over and we compared it in stock form to mine, using mono LPs as the source. The difference/improvement was so pronounced that when we had them level-matched, it was as if all the sound was coming from one speaker (mine). Much more open, dynamic, and full-bodied with superior bass.

They cost a bunch (mine were $775) and won't win any beauty prizes, but if you want to know how good these speakers really are, the Mapleshade stands will tell you, IMO. Dave
Thanks for the info Dave. I am a carpenter/cabinet maker and I am going to make better stands anyway so the speakers aren't so easy to tip. I will copy Mapleshade and buy their footers.
Russ