Wharfedale Jade 3 aluminium tweeter problem

Just bought a pair of Wharfedale Jade 3 standmount speakers, it looks very big, excellent craftsmanship in piano black finish, have been running them for 1 week, overall comment on sound:

Bass: I can't comment much on this, still think in the progress of write in, though I feel that no sense of strain, but I have problems playing some aggressive bass movement tracks, it seem the woofer hit the plastic surround...

Mid: Just fine, no problem

High: Though I will not say it's harsh, but it has too much sparkling and unwanted details, it seem no filter has been done, it makes a lot of tracks not listenable, it just sound not so comfortable bringing out some background noise, or piercing instrument too much

So far, this is my most disappointment in purchase Hifi speakers, I starting to wonder is this amp problem? I don't think so, I got several other speakers play just fine, include Wharfedale Diamond 122, Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary, Wharfedale Diamond 9.1. If let say power is not enough, I don't think so I can play track like Tutti! - Igor Stravinsky - The Firebird - Finale, with enough powerful omph without distortions, and most state of the art recording without problems, what's wrong here? The Jade 3 just does not work so forgiving in playing music?
128x128wim1983

Showing 5 responses by zd542

Assuming the speakers are fully broken in, this it the type of thing that happens when you don't take the time to match your components. When dealing with a speaker that is capable of revealing a lot of detail, especially when metal drivers are involved, its not good enough to just have enough power. You need to experiment and try different combinations of components to be sure that you know what you are getting into. Since you already have the speakers, I would see if you have some friends that can lend you some different equipment to try. Anything to see if you can move the sound in the right direction. I would definitely not buy anything new until you figure out what the problem is.

Also, you may want to list your system. Maybe you have an obvious bad match that someone may pick up on.
"09-24-15: Sunnyjim
I would not change your system to accommodate the speaker's inherent problems. If you go on a wild goose chase looking for different electronics, you could spend more money, and get few positive results. "

He's right. If it turns out that your speakers are the cause of the problem, don't throw good money after bad. Its much cheaper and easier to just fix the problem directly.
I don't think anyone was saying that you should get rid of the speakers right away. Definitely take some time and work with them. Its just that some of us have made the mistake of putting a lot of money into a system in hopes of trying to make a speaker sound good to you. Its very risky and almost never works.

What are you using to break in the speakers? If you aren't using white or pink noise, try it. It helps speed up the break in time.
"I'm waiting Wharfedale distributor solutions, he claims try to solve it via cables, well?"

Claims and proof are 2 different things. If he can prove it at no expense to you, great. Otherwise, its time to move on.
"10-19-15: Wim1983
@Shakeydeal: That's the thing, so he's using a passive preamp? which is the same case for me, I'm not using any preamp, directly from DAC to poweramp, if use an active preamp could have been different story...I will try NAD C 165BEE"

That may not be true. It depends on how the volume control in the DAC is set up. If its an analog volume control, its basically the same as a line stage like the NAD preamp you're thinking of buying. If its digital then the only thing you can say is that the preamp is not the problem. And that brings you right back to the real problem - the speakers.

Sunnyjim gave you solid advice in his first post. I've been in the same position myself (more than once). The only thing I know for sure is that you're going to get rid of the speakers at some point. Everyone here is just trying to save you from spending any more money than you have to.