Wharfedale Denton vs Diamond 225

I'm looking for a small pair of speakers in the $500 range and these two caught my eye. They are from the same manufacturer and sell for the same price. Anyone with any experience on their sonic differences?
128x128audiogabby

Showing 1 response by jbhiller

I bought the Dentons for my father for Christmas.  I built a tube amp and am in the testing phase with an 8w tube amp feeding the Dentons. 

I have them set up in a small sunporch (about 7 x 11).  Their sound is really for me.  If you lush, musical and great midrange they are great.  They are not hyperdetailed.  They are not bright.  They have a real cozy sound.  I can't stop listening to them!  And, I have a $20k system in the next room.  Maybe I just needed a change of pace? Who knows?  

But I personally really like this loudspeaker.  My dad had Wharfedales in the house when I was growing up in the 70s-80s.  The Dentons do seem to remind me of that sound.  

It's also possible that they just pair well with EL34 power tubes and 12au7 driver/preamp tubes.  I don't think they are particularly efficient either.    

The build quality is really nice.  My father in law and wife both commented on how nice the walnut cabinet looks.  They are smaller in person than the photographs I saw online.  

I may have some amp, room, speaker synergy going on too that might not translate to different systems.  I'm not sure.  What I can say is this combo is superb. 

8 wpc Elekit TU-8200 with 12au7 and EL34 tube compliment
Tidal Hifi streaming
Wharfedale Dentons
11 x 7 room