Want to setup basic home audio system

As the title states, I am looking for advice on the main components required to get a basic home audio system going for under 1k. When I do get to save more money, I am open to add more into the system. For now, what are the basic components of a home audio system that I mainly need to focus on right now? I am not looking to get a home theater setup. ONNLY LOOKING TO GET HOME AUDIO SYSTEM FOR MUSIC
diripio

Showing 4 responses by bob540

@thecarpathian, ovinewar:  I’m with you — don’t spend more than you need to.  My thinking is that one could go cheap trying to stay within the lower amounts and end up dissatisfied.  So, specifics (and I’m a newbie, so pardon my limitations).

Using the music room site noted above, I found:

NAD C375BEE integrated amp, 150 watts per channel x2, upgradable, with shipping $755

Golden Ear Triton Seven floor standing speakers, with shipping $1069
                                        - Or -

KEF Q550 floor standing speakers, with shipping $1130

Either combo comes in over $1500 and under $2000 and would provide quality equipment with plenty of volume (not sure about these speakers’ efficiency, but 150 watts should be plenty) and quality sound.  Streaming via laptop or whatever.  What equipment would you suggest?
This thread obviously tapped into the enthusiasm that we all feel for the music and the gear.  We look forward to hearing about others’ systems almost as much as we enjoy our own.  I know I look forward to hearing how diripio’s listening space comes together and his enjoyment of it.  Keep us posted!
I agree with those who advise to wait until you have accumulated more money — I would say $2,000.  I assume you are going to be living with such equipment a while, so it makes more sense to me to wait until you can buy higher quality equipment.  Just my 2 cents.
@jollygreenaudiophile2:   I hear ya, but as that site is deemed credible and the charges for shipping are $150-250, I would hope that the gear is packed sufficiently, if not in original boxes.  Best not to assume and I think that would be something to verify.