VPI TNT 3

My first post! After many years of coviting this turntable, I finally ran across a 1993 TNT Series 3 for sale in my area, and for a decent price! Apparently in excellent condition. After asking all of the relevent questions, I snatched it up like no tomorrow! It came without tonearm or cartridge, but I figured out that the arm board holes were of the correct dimension and spacing to fit what I had to install: Sumiko Premier FT-3K tonearm and a Sumiko Blue Point Special cartridge. Well the K in the FT-3 meant that the hole required some mods to allow the Kenetic VTA adjustment structures! So once that was all worked out and a new large 1/4” thick aluminum platform was fabricated to sit atop my solid steel gear rack floating on 4 VPI Sorbathane legs (great for isolation). Then all of the standard alignments were thoroughly made…

Finally, I was ready to experience what this table had to offer! And OMG, I was not disappointed, even coming from a VPI HW-19 Mk III (same arm/cart pair), I was astounded at how much more there was in my record collection that I could not hear before! WOW!

I’m sure you are all aware of the virtues of the TNT, the bass reaches all new lows, and with such power and grace! There was so much more space and dimension, everything seemed so much more well defined. I had trouble getting through any one album, I wanted to listen to the next one that I had lined up for testing and sheer enjoyment!!! LOL

But my real reason for posting here was to get some feedback on how to get a replacement of the Pulley Drive System? I understand that the original owner had it purposely removed (and was not included in the packaging, except for a few of the remnants… short belt, double pulley head, mounting hardware, etc). Does anyone on here know where to get a replacement pulley drive system?

After a few more days to absorb the sonic benefits of the TNT 3, I will provide a detailed update on what I have experienced.

bhenry91

Congratulations! Great table.

I am very fond of VPI turntables and owned one for a decade or two and really appreciate the non-sprung massive tables with separated motors. You get the sound you are talking about.

I assume you talked to VPI about a new pulley.

The pulley system on my my TNT 3.5 also failed and I had to remove it. Contact VPI about a replacement. Don't buy a used one.

Thank you for your quick replies! I have reached out to VPI, but they are quite hard to get ahold of, however I did chat with a very friendly lady there who took down my information and was going to get the right person call me back today!  I will keep you posted on how that goes!  Not sure if they will still have parts for a 30 year old table? 

There is a VPI fan page on Facebook where you can post your question.  There are a “few” very knowledgeable members.  

As an aside, the TNT Mk3 had a spring suspension incorporated into the footers, not sorbothane.