VPI Speed Problem

I have a VPI Super Scoutmaster with SDS. Fabulous sound, had it for about a year. I moved to a new place about 5 months ago and have had it set up and working well for about 3 months in the new location.

Recently, I thought the first song on some album sides sounded slow, but as the album played a minute or two, all sounded right again. Now, everything sounds slow all the time, both 33's and 45's. I tried bypassing the SDS, though there is no speed setting on the motor assembly, so I don't know if that should sound right, but it sounds very slow and muddy as well.

Any thoughts on what might be wrong or how to troubleshoot? Any insight would be appreciated.
kthomas

Showing 6 responses by reb1208

Maybe you could borrow the new VPI rim drive and give it a try on your Super Scoutmaster. Decide for yourself if the belt or rim is "better"
For general knowledge, the way I set speed is by ear, when the record is playing. I play the exact same title on cd, from that same master tape source. I do this with a few records/cd's and A/B back and forth during play. When the sound is perfectly in synch, I leave the SDS at that frequency. Do this after you set the VTF/VTA etc.
Speed has to be checked when a record is playing while the stylus is in the groove. Checking with a strobe disc without the drag of the stylus is not accurate. You will set your rpm too high. Use the strobe disc to get you in the ballpark. Then fine tune by ear, synchronizing to your cd player playing the same title. Also make sure your analog rig is warmed up, let it run awhile before checking. Yeah, I know, I think differently than the herd. But then again, I'm a pretty smart guy.
The experiment is put flimsy strobe disc on platter, run motor warmed up and then check speed. Next put record on platter, and place flimsy strobe on top, then clamp down. Run table for warm up, then drop stylus into run in groove and let play. Your smart table will not alter in speed? I say something smell like Dogpue.
Wow, DP, you can't even follow the intstructions for a simple experiment. All you calculated was the added drag of the stylus. You forget about the weight of the LP itself and the RECORD CLAMP.

Long live the rimm drive!!!!!!!!!! I'm running out and getting one. Boom, boom, gotta love that thumping bass power and Brit prat and drive. That's truly high-end sound. So listenable long term, never headache inducing. In fact, I shall buy a Naim cd player to sit along side and erase all nuance from my rack.

I'm so glad we conversed. Thanks!!
You have to check the speed over the entire playing surface of the record. Anti-skate force and drag will differ towards the middle and end of LP. That is why I use my ear to fine adjust, after using the strobe. Play an original LP and early un-remastered cd of the same title. It should not be hard for you find an early cd that used the exact LP master. Sync the sound and see if they track each other perfectly thru the entire side. Look, I'll throw you a bone, you convinced me to some extent. A rimm drive may indeed hold the speed more accurately. But I find constant prat and bass drive to be very distracting to say the least.