Violin, Viola,Cello background noise

Can anyone identify the quiet, but obvious "shushing" sound found to some degree in all CD recordings of string section performances? It seems to be most apparent in sonatas and other chamber music. I can notice this sound with all my speaker sets, CD players, and amps, both tube and solid state. The sound is present to some degree from every CD manufacturer regardless of whether the recording is DDD or ADD.
tilghman
I give my second vote to RCprince. I actually own a CD player with adjustable dither. I ran from the highest setting to the "no dither" setting. While the sound signature of the music changed slightly, there is no noticeable noise per se.

But on some chamber recordings there is a slight sound I would also attibute to the bows or something happening non musical with the instruments. I can also hear the clicking of the valves on the wind instruments.
I'm fairly certain the sound is inherent in the recording. It occurs immediately following a note from a "bowed" instrument, and is most noticeable in the quietest passages. The strength of the sound varies greatly from one recording to another, but is very common. I have never noticed the sound in any recording of "non-bowed" instruments. I would like to think the sound is generated by the instruments, but it does not quite resemble any sound I have noticed at a live performance. The idea of the sound being an artifact of "close miking" seems possible. I suppose I've become slightly fixated on the issue because I have spent so much effort , to no avail, tracking down the sound within my stereo. I think I'll bring a couple of CDs to my local HiFi shop to confirm that its not in my head...

Thanks to the group for the input...Tilghman
Well...a trip to the HiFi shop confirms that the sound is not in my system. The noise was apparent there, just like at home. The salesmen decided we were hearing the breathing of the musicians. I'm not so sure, but at least it's not my imagination.....
Congradulations Tilghman, you have good ears on a good system! What you are hearing is called Rosen noise. It is not a digital artifact, it is not anyone's breathing, it is not Brownian motion of air molecules, and most of all it is not all in your mind either. It is the noise of friction of bowhair bristles impregnated with Rosen against strings. On very revealing systems you can hear it. It is more prominent in softest passages from solo instruments or small ensambles. In a live performance you can hear it mostly up close to the performer, if acoustic propagation is exceptionally good, because it is very soft and decays rapidly with distance from the source. It may be slight more prominent with the larger members in the violin family. On occasion you may also hear simultaneously the noise of fabrick from the sleeves of the performer rubbing against the body of the instrument.