Very Impressed with my new Technics SL-1200GR TT

I just received the unit yesterday and set up. I am surprised that the unit is much more sturdy than what I thought it was going to be. The 1200GR is built like a tank. I'm running an AT-VM-540ML cartridge thru a MoFi Studio pre. The pre may be going back due to supper flimsy RCA in and out jacks. The cables are quite loose on the MOfI. Both cables are super tight on the TT and Preamp end. 

The sound is amazing. I am thrilled the bass is full, deep and punchy (I was expecting lighter bass). 

Here's a link to a quick phone video I did

https://www.dropbox.com/s/neig56c0wf1i53a/IMG_0381.MOV?dl=0
aberyclark
Everybody knows that Technics build like a tank and made in Japan while some other similar looking turntables are made in China like a plastic toys. You’re owing an iconic turntable that does not need service for the next 30 years, this is Technics, this is made in japan quality.

Regarding the phono stage try JLTi mk5 (about $1000 from the manufacturer) ask Joe to make a mod inside (it’s fee), so you can use higher load resistors for your MM cartridges, i’m using 47k and 100k for different MM/MI carts.
Sweet!
I have the SL1210GR (All black)
I'm sure it's going to be the last turntable I will ever own.
Just spin records and listen to music.
I wish I went with a good direct-drive years ago.
I love the speed consistency with DD. Instead of the stock Technics cables (which seem to be well built), I am using well broken-In Blue Jeans LC-1. Quiet as a mouse. 
The Technics 1200's are designed & built for DJ'ing, and have been the staple for DJ's the world over. I've had two 1200's for at least 25 years, and a third for about 20. They are tanks indeed, and mine have seen some miserable conditions (rave's in the 90's, the morning after finding about an inch of fog machine residue. yuck!)

I don't know that I would attribute to being built in Japan vs China, frankly. I would suggest this simply has to do with the fact that they know their audience. DJ's work those turntables hard, and so they need to be sturdy. 
The first SL1200mk2 has never been designed for DJs, it was a hi-fi component that was adopted by djs and became a dj standard for professionals. DJing changed a lot in the early 80's, previously used Thorens belt drive were replaced by Technics direct drive and it was a revolution, a new standard. 

Prior to SL-1200 mk2 series a much better Technics turntable was the highest broadcast standard in the late 70's, it was SP-10mk2 and the mk3 is still ultimate (super high torque). 

Technics is great

Call me a fanboy too as I recently bought the 1210GR to put in my main system and moved the SL-QL1 that had been in that system (and a table I've owned since 1985) upstairs into the living room system.  I love the quality of the old and the new Technics tables and both sound great in my systems.