Vandersteen Treo vs 3A Sig as upgrade

I had my local dealer hook up a pair of Treos to demo them and left with a very mixed impression. I like the overall sound. They have a smoother, more refined and sophisticated midrange that the 3A Sigs can't match. I want that. But the bass was less defined and the top end was bright. The sibilance was very exaggerated - this was with CD. Is this the character of the Treo? Thanks!
wlutke

Showing 9 responses by tomic601

IF my memory serves me right Bruce at Stereo Unlimited has PSB also so haul your amp in there for a listen....you could do anice slow A/B

just remember your short term wow brain likes louder and finely etched detail and your longer term brain likes the real thing...

Stay out of the room with the 7's it is a musical black hole....lovers of music..never escape the purity well......

Ha

Enjoy the music first !!!!
glad everybody is loving what they have

i do want to clarify a point

moving your speakers does not require you to rerun Vandertones -even tho that is pretty easy - insert cd, and record the 11 band spl and compare to the baseline spl when you initially set the system up.

iF the differences are big you might want to rerun it... or maybe not.

what your ears tell you counts also - don't over equalize or chase perfectly flat with your SPL meter...

of course we could debate having the ability to tune vs just live with whatever the box / room gives ya...

me, I like having an iron but every now and then doing wash and wear...

again

enjoy ghe music !!!

That's the way !
Back in the day..thirty years ago I would have, could have just sent you home with a pair to play with for extended weekend....that is IMO part of the value a brick and mortar dlr can deliver....
Btw my old dog AQ type 6 is in a TRUE shotgun configuration also. :-)
I do not own Treo
Have heard them a few times but not for a serious listen
I trust and believe in Richard, yes I am biased
had 3aSIG for a decade
Having a speaker let alone system that long can lead to a strong belief that is what it SHOULD sound like..
Went thru some soul searching to get 5a to sound more like 3a SIG ..but that was my journey.
Bless you on yours.
Your associated equip is stellar and in many cases hews to much of what MANY Vandy dealers would feel sounds great w Steens..

BTW Johhny I have Van Morrisons Blue Note release What's wrong with this picture on..yum !
Try a used pair of 5's or 5a....Randy normally has a pair or two of those...mine came out of his house.
Seriously give Richard a call.he takes phone calls....spoke w him yesterday..
Thx for blast from past....one of my fondest memories are of Mac 240 tubes glowing blue w plasma playing Roumers thru dads big Bozaks....OMG we cranked that up.

Image wide out beyond Speakers w shaker, guitars acoustic and harmonics. Apparent depth of background vocals is way far back, reverb and Echo on Nicks voice has her a bit varied in height but you are right not a tall image. Classic multi track made up thing..the snare in particular is in front of much of the image. Looking at RTA not all that much going on for a subwoofer to work with...might want to use bass line in Chain at about 3:30 in to judge definition and tone...just my thoughts....
i should add that I have very wides tastes so rock does not define what I want. it counts but it does not dominate my decisions.

I went from 3 a with a 200 WPC Mac amp to an Ayre VX-R driving 5 A. I liked the 3 a better for rock. They were set up right and believe me they ROCK....the rest of the line is pretty polite above 100 HZ..and I would say that about my 7 mk 2.
now..for low bass, resolution etc the 5 a win hands down. But as others have said, I believe in Richard..
There is a really nice pair of Quatros Fs here..maybe try those...