Upgraded amp for B&W 802d3

Hello, 
I am currently running my B&W 802d3 speakers with a Classe 2300 amp and  have been happy, but was thinking of going to the next level with higher wattage mono amps.    B&W speakers need power to sound their best., and many on this forum state they love McIntosh with B&W’s and speak highly of the MC 611.  Many say the amp has a warm and laid back signature which offsets the hot diamond tweeter.. Others say they prefer the Bryston 7b3 as they are more detailed and have a more “energized” signature as compared to McIntosh. Has anyone with B&W speakers that at one time used a Classe amp moved up to one of these amps?  If so , what improvement did you notice, if any?   I have a McIntosh dealer locally but the nearest Bryson dealer is 3 hours away and can’t compare them side by side.
128x128bwguy

Showing 1 response by verdantaudio

Check out AVM which is a superb German manufacturer.  They have a neutral to warmer sound signature.  Udo is an ex Burmester guy and that influenced him.  The Ovation 6.3 stereo and mono amps have SS input stage and MOSFET output stage.  The Ovation 8.3s have a tube input stage and the same MOSFET output stage.

the lowest power of these four is 200w and they start at $10K

They are brilliant amps with very revealing speakers like B&W.  You will see them at shows with Magico, Wilson, Kef, etc....

Pass is obvious.  Brilliant gear and you need to figure out how much power you need.  That is really a calculation based on listening habits and desired headroom.  
Burmester, Constellation and Boulder all have nice Stereo amps under $20K that would be brilliant with those speakers.  
Luxman and Accupase would also be good choices.  
If you want tubes, VTL will work but prices on amps well suited to driving those B&Ws will get vicious.  
Full disclosure, I am a US AVM dealer.  I have other brands available to me but am not affiliated with any of the other brands mentioned here.