upgrade rec from meridian 508.24

happy 2022 everyone - looking for a rec to get a cd player for music no other formats red book only to replace my meridian 508.24 which finally died. i am completely satified with that sound through my system including cj premier 16mk2 premier 140 kef 104/2s lol (refurbished a few times) cardas golden all around along with vpi scoutmaster Jw11 arm kimber cable w shelter 90x via cj premier 15. old but decent sounding stuff to my ears. love vinyl of course but tryng to reboot that cd magic experienced with my 508.24. considering used moon 360d possibly meridian 596 or similiar. value soundstage, pacing, piano, strings, voice and violins to get the magical 3d effect. Any suggestions looking used with a max budget of $1500. kind regards. lew

lewdis

I owned a 508.24 years ago. Nice player. I've also owned lots of other similarly priced players. For the last 3 years I've been using a Rega Saturn-R and I've had no interest in replacing/upgrading it. It is a fantastic CD player. It is actually a CD Transport and seperate DAC built into a standard CD player sized enclosure. It is also top-loading, so it has a simplified mechanical system. If you even have any other digital sources, you can connect them to/through the DAC in the Saturn-R. I have an inexpensive Raspberry Pi based music server connected via USB to my Rega Saturn-R and the Rega's DAC does a really good job. I also have a BlueTooth receiver connected via toslink optical digital cable to the Rega and it also works/sounds great. You may not need the DAC functionality, but it's nice to be there, just in case and it does not detract, in any way, from the operation/functionality of the Saturn-R as just a stand-alone CD player.

I purchased mine used for $1500 three years ago. They are still a current production player for Rega ($2999 MSRP) and they still sell for about $1500 used (+/- $200).

The new Rega Planet supposedly a similar house sound to the Saturn-R, with just a little less sonic goodness at a much lower price.

Thanks for the comments.

Hoosier: haven't reached out recently but I think I will now and update here on results.

jason and reubert: thanks I'll check out reviews

@lewdis It's been over a week and no reply from the repair shop when I used the contact form on their website.  I will need to call.  Please let me know if you've made any progress.