Upgrade Denafrips Terminator 2

Hi Guys,

I started my "DAC Journey" around 3 years ago. Over the time I had an Rasperry Pi 3b with integreated DAC, a Bluesound Node, then a Denafrips Pontus 2 and now a Denafrips Terminator 2. 

I am pretty happy with the T2, but I am looking for the secret Gamechanger in the DAC category.

Sure, the T2 is a great DAC, but there is for todays standard better stuff out there, even for a bit less money I guess.

My next DAC should sound a bit more holographic, more revealing with that warm sound signature. I think the R2R technology is the way to go, but I am open for everything. What I probably love the most about the T2 is that Bass slam. So I am looking forward for that kind of sound.

I read a lot about the very hyped up Holo Audio May. Also other brands like Lampizator, Rockna and LAIV are a names that can not be ignored.

I am a used buyer, so everything up to 5.5k for a used price is okay for me. I just need some suggestions or experiences from you guys.

Maybe someone has an cheaper option as an secret advice from a small company.

Looking forward hearing from you.

braun-hifi
Post removed 

Cheaper alternative but outstanding sound is MHDT Orchid.  New around $1150 from LTA.  Used about $800.  R2R DAC.  Then, if he's still doing it, get Grannyring (AGon name) upgrades.  Used to run $500.  Huge uptick.  Reviewers put this at $2000 equiv pricepoint.  Some like the WE386 (single) tube but I find it soft and too warm. Running a common NOS or Tung Sol 2C51 is best balance to me.  I found the Soviet 6n3p tubes to enhance bass if you want that.  Tubes run $30-$100.  Roll some.  Money left over.  

Cheaper alternative but outstanding sound is MHDT Orchid.  New around $1150 from LTA.  Used about $800.  R2R DAC.  Then, if he's still doing it, get Grannyring (AGon name) upgrades.  Used to run $500.  Huge uptick.  Reviewers put this at $2000 equiv pricepoint.  Some like the WE386 (single) tube but I find it soft and too warm. Running a common NOS or Tung Sol 2C51 is best balance to me.  I found the Soviet 6n3p tubes to enhance bass if you want that.  Tubes run $30-$100.  Roll some.  Money left over.  

I read a lot about the very hyped up Holo Audio May. Also other brands like Lampizator, Rockna and LAIV are a names that can not be ignored.

These are not better dacs than your Denafrips T2... either a sidegrade or downgrade. Settle down, discover some new artists, expand your playlist and enjoy your current dac dude. It is usually the stagnation of one’s mind/playlist that makes him think that some other dac will keep pouring magic endlessly like the Niagara.

Or you maybe have other problems like a lousy room or speakers (that throw you out of the music).

Another way to get sound that is "more holographic, more revealing" might not include a DAC change at all. I don't know if you've tried anything to reduce the amount of common-mode noise (i.e., EFI and RFI) in your digital signal path, but I've found that lowering the noise floor definitely makes sound more holographic and revealing.  I just got an Audioquest Niagara 1200 power conditioner and that helped my system reach a new level of clarity and resolution. Other previous tweak that made an immediately evident audible difference were:

1. I tried 11 different power cables ranging from free to $1400 on my Pontus II DAC. The Pontus sounded best with a $91 Supra LoRad power cable.

2. I tried 5 USB cables and settled on a Stordiau Phasure Lush cable.

3. Added an Audioquest Jitterbug noise filter on the USB output from my streamer

4. Changing rom a AmazonBasics Cat 6 ethernet cable to a Supra Cat 8 ethernet that improved the sound when streaming Qobuz

Total retail cost of these tweaks at full retail price is about $1500 or quite a bit less when buying used.