Ultimate Turntable search...OMA K5 or ?

As the title says, I’m on the hunt for a statement turntable. Don’t really post on the forum so forgive me if this has been discussed already. I’ve been told that whatsbest might be another place to post about this but I’ve been a seller on this site for many years, so I figured it was a good place to start.

I’m a longtime Caliburn owner but it’s time for a change. I would like to ditch the belt drive and vacuum. I know Fremer loves the OMA K3, but the K5 has got my attention. After owning many different speakers, a friend of mine turned me on to OMA. I ended up buying a pair of OMA mini’s about ten years ago and then quickly moved up to the AC-1. I’ve had a wonderful experience dealing with Jonathan and the company and love their aesthetic. With the AC-1s, my main system has reached a level of musicality and presence I never thought possible. I’ve recently come to the conclusion that upgrading my front end is my next big move. So I’ve been doing a ton of research on turntables in this class.

Although I’ve owned OMA speakers for years, I haven’t heard any of their new table designs. Sadly, I have not been to any shows or showrooms since covid. I do plan on visiting OMA sometime in the next few months, but for now, I’m interested if anybody has real life experience with the K3/K5 and if you have listening notes or opinions to share? Also curious to hear thoughts on competive turntables in this class. I have heard many high end tables in person, but definitely not all. Thanks!

mattdrummer

If it really is up among the very best turntables, then it is rather a bargain at less than $100K. Personally I could not put up with the string, the push start, the waiting. But that’s just my preference.

After looking at the AS 2000, it brought me back to a period when I was introduced to a TT from a different Brand. A TT that has a Highly Polished Platter with a substantial Depth and Weight.

When the retailer of the TT was met, it was at a time when I was involved in a few Audio Builds. On making these known of, the info caught the attention of the owner of the retail outlet that was based at their private residence.

The retailer was inquiring about being demo'd the builds, with a possible follow up  for acquiring the build / variants of builds being produced. The talk broached upon the possible cost for them and the Mark Up that would be needed to make the handling product viable.

I offered to introduce the retailer to all my EE contacts to see what they could arrange. Audio equipment as a tool is my interest, Audio is certainly not my vocation. I keep to the sidelines on such discussions, the content is usually found to have very little/if nothing to do with Audio and enjoying it to replay recordings.

The TT being shown to me at the time of encountering the retailer, was claimed to retail at £50K for the TT only.

The retailer was explaining if they could make 2 x Sales of the same companies Speaker on one of their Models or 1 x sale of the Companies TOTR speaker, they was then with the funds to purchase the TT.

To simplify it more, I was informed the TT' was approx' £20K direct from the Manufacturer. 

The retailer was keen to have Phon's I was involved with the build of, brought to their premises and used with the TT, in the hope these would be the best electronic ancillary to compliment the TT and chosen TA > Cart'.

I like people too much, I have no desire to be instrumental in seeing them parting with substantial monies to fund another's stay at home lifestyle. I myself never returned to the premises.

The EE responsible for the design and build of the Phon', ended up in a collaboration with a long term established individual who has been at Director Level in well known Companies and who today owns a well known Company. 

Shortly after that collaboration started, I received a 'cold call' private contact offering to me a Cartridge Spacer device, that was the one being made known of throughout the HiFi Press. There was a offer to receive this device for a substantially reduced price to the retail being seen. I did not reply to the stranger or the uninvited intrusion.

Next up the EE who is producing the Phon's, is informing myself all about the impression the Phon's have had and the plans for them being offered at High End Munich as £10K Phon's. The ideas had evolved, it was being made known how they wanted to have their own new range of Cables for the show. I am asked to supply all of my Wire Suppliers, especially the PC Triple C and D.U.C.C sources. 

For my support I am to receive a pair of Cables that are to retail at £2K.

I done the math for producing a Cable and as a result found the idea of continuing to support the request being made very unattractive.

There does seem to be a Market where certain products are not able to break out of the very low unit turnover of sales area, that as a counter are products on offer that come with a very high mark up for each unit.  

The Nagra turntable and arm has no noise. What I thought was noise from residual dirt in the groove (in other record players) was in fact residual noise from the record player. Somehow Nagra managed to drain all the noise out. Vinyl continues to surprise.

it is rather a bargain at less than $100K.

@lewm

the AS-2000 is more than $100k by the value of a nice turntable (fill in the blank). and only sold direct, if there are any left to purchase (my sense is that there is no further inventory). Peter would know more about that.

Personally I could not put up with the string, the push start, the waiting.

simplicity is it’s design ethos. 

@OP Even though in principle, you don't want belt drive, I would not rule out the Dohmann Helix One Mk 3. While not strictly on topic, regardless of the choice of TT, the choice of arm is going to be a pretty major factor too.