Turntable upgrade recommendations: SME vs AMG vs Technics vs other

I've recently upgraded most of my system, but I still have a Rega P8, with Linn Krystal cartridge, which I like, but I've heard that there may be better options.

I have Sound Lab electrostatic speakers, Ypsilon Hyperior amplifiers, an Ypsilon PST-100 Mk2 pre-amplifier, and am thinking about an Ypsilon phono stage to match with my system, and a turntable/cartridge.  I listen to almost entirely classical, acoustic music. 

Based on my very limited knowledge, and simple research, I've been looking at three brands, each of which is a different type of turntable: SME (suspension), AMG (mass), and Technics (direct drive).  
What are the advantages and disadvantages of the different types of turntables, and of those in particular?

Thanks.   

drbond

@tms0425 

Thanks for sharing.  My plan is to first upgrade my phono stage from the Manley Steelhead to something else.  I expect a more detailed phono stage will allow me to better distinguish the differences between various TT.  With the clamp and the pucks, the Rega P8 sounds very good, and much better than without those.  Once I decide on a phono stage, hopefully in the next 6 months, I will then begin the TT search with more vigor.  

By the way, I heard that there is an audio show in Tampa, FL, which is coming up next month:  Florida Audio Expo, Feb 18-22. I didn't see many analog companies attending, such as SME, Kuzma, AMG, or TW Acustics, though, so possibly not worth it 

@drbond - most important to match the phono stage to the cartridge and your system in general. Turntables should have no sound - improvements are the elimination of distortion caused by vibrations. Of course you need to make sure the arm works well with the table, that's why I like the integrated ones like Rega and SME and it's good to know you're leaning towards the SME. From what I've heard their V5 arm is about the best out there.

@drbond Florida Audio Expo is a nice show, which was growing until Covid slammed everything shut. I'll be attending for a couple days, coming up from Sanibel. Dealers tend to show there also, so they tend to bring what they have on hand in terms of analog. The usual strong ex-US presence of manufacturers unfortunately will be reduced due to the current state of affairs for travel, etc.

@sokogear

What particular specifications in the phono stage do I look at to match with the pre-amplifier and the cartridge?

(I learned the hard way (from @dover pointing out to me in another thread) that one very important specification to be met is that the input sensitivity of the amplifier needs to be less than the output voltage of the pre-amplifier.  I was, however, well aware of impedance matching in the components.)

Thanks.

@drbond - you need to make sure the phono stage has lmpedence (load) and gain settings that match what is recommended for the cartridge. Many good ones have several or even continuous settings for these.

Some phono stages are made to work with their own cartridges. I have a van den Hul cartridge and if I wanted to really splurge, I would go for their phono stage, but I don’t want to exceed what I spent on everything else for a cartridge and phono stage. From the numbers you were throwing around, it might fit your budget. I was told that combo was part of  a $400K system that won best in a show against 7 figure systems.

The output from the phono stage can go to any regular line input of a preamp. Ideally, the preamp is just a switching box and volume knob without affecting the sound. Personally I like to KISS and go with an integrated amp and avoid an extra interconnect and power cord and save $$.