Turntable noobie...what advice do you have?

As this forum has corrupted me and I have decided to dive down the rabbit hole of LP's.  Usually I stream but I find the tactile experience of records appealing.  I have ordered a Pro-ject RPM-3 Carbon with Sumiko Amethyst cartridge and a Mobile Fidelity StudioPhono preamp. Oh, and a record brush.  I will be plugging them into my Voyager GAN amp and from there powering my LSA 20 Statement speakers.

I know there is always better equipment to get but I feel this gives a good starting point.  I picked up some new records but a half dozen does not a record collection make.  So I do plan on making my focus for the near future getting more and expanding my collection.  I listen to all kind of music so they will be many different genres.  I will be getting new ones but I will undoubtedly get some used ones too.  

Okay, so what all would you recommend for someone just getting into this hobby?  Especially if I am getting any used records, I should probably look at a record cleaner.  What else for equipment or doodads?  What about tricks or tips for increasing my collection?  In my city there is a record store called Music Millennium that I will be checking out and there of course if Barnes and Noble (where I purchased my other ones).  Do you know of places online  I should check out?  Thanks in advance for your advice. 

ddonicht

Not many have had their first experience of Vinyl with such an itinerary of items in place to prepare for the upcoming eventualities.

I sense you are a 'duck to water' on this method of replays.

Taking on this quite different approach to streaming, has surely presented a few head scratching moments, with the basic considerations being presented. 

As I have read the debates about cleaning methods and static reduction, I started to think about the power and the grounding. So I looked at my AMP and my DAC/Preamp and there is no ground screw like I have seen on receivers I’ve owned. I double checked pictures of the RPM 3 Carbon and the Mobile Fidelity StudioPhono and both have ground screws. Am I supposed to connect the 2 or do I need to ground them both elsewhere? If so, where?

Also, an isolation system was mentioned.  My current plan is to put it on top of my DAC.  The DAC is on my Amp and both are on a wood file cabinet a couple of feet to the side of my left speaker.  I am considering getting another cabinet and putting it to the other side, about the same distance from the right speaker.  I do have some silicon isolation feet. I was thinking about getting a sheet of granite (scrap from countertops), putting it on those feet, and then the turntable on top of that.  

The turntable and phono stage are due in tomorrow so you know what I will be doing tomorrow evening. :-) 

Connect the TT ground to the phono stage ground. You do not need a special wire. A piece of solid copper 24 gauge insulated will do!

A few comments. Cleaning new records is important to keep future static down. A new uncleaned record after a few months of play will develop static / dust faster than one that has been cleaned - both kept in the same sleeve - that’s why we clean new records. I do think a good method of recording to digital is important - and I have been collecting records for 35 years and will never stop.  Once you have bought the record you will get more from your investment if you can switch between formats and still listen when you don’t have the time (or steady hand) to fire up the analog rig. Tascam makes a good DSD ripper. I only have time to catalog about 20% of my collection and put it on shuffle when working around the house.  According to Jriver, 20% is about 43 days of music.